Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Simply amazing example. In absolutely stunning condition for its age. The fire blue really pops, the colors well preserved, and the fit of wood to metal embarrasses modern makers. The etched panel clear and sharp. Do you know the provenance?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I've always liked their looks, but not their high prices. In 40 years of following Colts, these are one model that seems to never be cheap. I mean for a pocket pistol, there are lots of others that go cheaper, other Colts, Remington derringers, Sharps, etc. They always seemed to be 5 times as much as the others.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always liked their looks, but not their high prices. In 40 years of following Colts, these are one model that seems to never be cheap. I mean for a pocket pistol, there are lots of others that go cheaper, other Colts, Remington derringers, Sharps, etc. They always seemed to be 5 times as much as the others.
When I got this,10/12 years ago, it cost about as much as a beater SAA

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Simply amazing example. In absolutely stunning condition for its age. The fire blue really pops, the colors well preserved, and the fit of wood to metal embarrasses modern makers. The etched panel clear and sharp. Do you know the provenance?
No provenance but it came in a period locking leather case with a cleaning rod and a screwdriver
Made in 1875

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
No provenance but it came in a period locking leather case with a cleaning rod and a screwdriver
Made in 1875
Any idea of the manufacturing total in 41 caliber? I poked around the web a bit, but was not successful in that regard. Any factory records, or were they lost in the flood(s)?

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any idea of the manufacturing total in 41 caliber? I poked around the web a bit, but was not successful in that regard. Any factory records, or were they lost in the flood(s)?
Book Of Colt Firearms says approx 7000 made. 1874-1879
I would think that a letter is possible.
I think i'll ask! Thanks

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is VERY nice.
It also reinforces my observation that the earliest New Lines did not have the etched panel caliber markings.
I have seen this on other guns/calibers.
I think the etched panels began in 1875 and were the very first Colts so marked.
What year is your 22?
P.S. Letters ARE available:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts