Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know next to nothing about Colt DA/SA revolvers and don't own any reference manuals (yet). FWIW, I did own a NIB Cobra and a NIB Detective Special back in the 1970s, but foolishly let them get away.

My question:
When comparing the size and weight of the snubnosed versions of the Colt Lawman MK III, Python and Magnum Carry... how do these three stack up?

How about the overall strength when firing full power .357 magnum ammunition?

Is the "J" frame size of the Lawman close to the S&W "L" frame size - smaller/larger?

Any additional comments are welcomed. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,705 Posts
In order:

The Colt Lawman and the Python are approximately the same size, strength, and weight both being mid-size frames and cylinders.
Without a direct comparison, I'd guess the Lawman is just slightly lighter than the Python, mostly due to the rounded butt of the "snubby" Lawman, and it's fixed sights.

The Magnum Carry is based on the older "D" frame Detective Special, and is a small frame revolver. As such it's significantly lighter than the two larger mid-frames.

When shooting Magnum ammo, the Python and Lawman frames and cylinders are again comparable, the smaller Magnum Carry significantly "weaker", again due to it's smaller frame and cylinder.

In general practice, my opinion is, the Python and Lawman are true .357 Magnum revolvers, and the Magnum Carry is like the "K" frame S&W revolvers: A .38 Special revolver that can shoot Magnum ammo on demand.
In other words, in the Magnum Carry I'd shoot .38 Special and .38 +P ammo for practice, and a limited amount of Magnum for practice and "business" carry.

The Lawman is approximately the same size as the S&W "L" frame, S&W copying the Colt revolvers in frame and cylinder size as closely as possible.

Master gunsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen believed that the later Colt's like the "J" frame and later King Cobra were the strongest mid-framed revolvers ever made, due to Colt's superior forged and heat treated cylinders and frames.

In a direct comparison between a "J" frame Colt and a "L" frame S&W, THEORETICALLY the Colt is slightly stronger due to the cylinder locking notches being off-set from the chambers.
In "the real world" there's little real difference, both being very strong revolvers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your thorough response to my questions.

Additionally, I presume that Colt did not ever produce an alloy "J" frame revolver - is that correct?

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, is there any information (more than rumor) regarding the prospects of Colt resuming *regular production of their DA/SA revolvers?

*More than just a few coming out of their custom shop

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
On the matter of Colt restarting production of DA's the answer is short but heartbreaking: Production has terminated, period! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ...

[/ QUOTE ]
That is sad, indeed. I will resist the urge to revisit this issue with ColtForum members as I'm certain it's been discussed thoroughly.

I just can't help stating how disheartening it is that other companies that offer such less refined revolvers (IMHO), i.e., Taurus, Ruger, etc., can flourish while Colts offerings have withered and died.

·
Registered
715 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I just can't help stating how disheartening it is that other companies that offer such less refined revolvers (IMHO), i.e., Taurus, Ruger, etc., can flourish while Colts offerings have withered and died.

[/ QUOTE ]

$$

Simply not enough punters were willing to ante up the >$1000 for a Python when they could get a more crude but still serviceable $600 "something else". /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Colt's inane management decisions over the years also certainly don't help this situation (no DA revolvers).

Colt still makes SA revolvers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Colt's inane management decisions over the years also certainly don't help this situation (no DA revolvers)...

[/ QUOTE ]
I digress -
And their nutty (IMO) decision to discontinue the Pony, Mustang, Pocket-Nine and others I can't recall at the moment.

I'm glad I still have my Pony PocketLite. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
491 Posts
Colt used to be what others "wanted to be". Just go down the list of autos and revolvers! Smith had a few winners, Colt had winners across the board. It breaks my heart.

I found a mint unfired Police Positive, no box $695.00, and a mint unfired Agent with the box, $595.00. I wish I could afford them, they are high priced women,....... ah...... I mean pistols. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Colt's insane management decisions over the years also certainly don't help this situation

[/ QUOTE ] in all fairness, colt is a business. a business MUST make a profit. commercial firearms sales were 4% of colts gross profit a few yrs ago.{ cant rember where/when i read it}out of that 4% i`m guessing the saa {a very popular seller in recent yrs} and the ar variants{ also popular last few yrs} make up at least 3%.i know it`s a shame but it all comes down to the dollar. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not smart enough to know why, but it's difficult for me to understand how Smith and Wesson, Inc. can be so progressive and produce fine revolvers, very nice 1911s (I love mine) and now an AR. On the surface, S&W appears to be doing very well; I just wish Colt would reconsider their decision to permanently remove DA revolvers from their lineup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts