Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A ran across this in my gun safe the other day. It is a "Chinese" 1900 Browning pistol. Little is known about these guns, except that are hand made copies of the 1900 Browning model. It is believed that most were made for use in China between WWI and WWII. The origins are some what murky. They usually have fake Belgium proof marks and often the Mauser banner. Because of the use of Broomhandle Mausers in China, the logo was familiar to non-English speakers. Commonly, they are in .32 acp caliber, reasonable for a blow-back design. This gun is a bit unusual, having its original leather lined canvass holster. Lacking either in imagination, or not not having a full set of number stamps, some bare the same serial number. However, I sometimes think the makers were given an example and told to make an exact copy. They then used the serial number of the example.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Those are cool! I have seen some stamped "brevetebrevetebrevetebrevete", "fabriquefabriquefabriquefabrique" etc, I guess they didn't think it was worth the effort to make more than one stamp ;)

I have a Chinese pistol in my collection, but it's a total fantasy piece. It's a wild mix of design features from other pistols, and the frame is made from three pieces of flat stock that have been "laminated" by riveting and soldering them together. The caliber appears to be .30 Mauser (a Chinese favorite), but I have never had the balls to shoot it and I don't think it would be wise to do it either. The bore does have rifling, but it's a super fast twist that almost looks like it was cut with a dull 5/16" tap. This is a scary piece, it's probably more dangerous to the shooter than to the intended target! :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Most Excellent Chinese handy work...
Thanks for posting.

sent from my mPhone using 1903power Pro II

Reactions: Cop_Out and Colt-SL

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Very interesting.
The Browning-looking thing actually has a slight swell at the backstrap.
The backstrap on a Browning is straight.
It actually looks cool.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update: I ran across a similar constructed holster (canvas with leather trim) in a book, "Military Holsters of World War II." The holster is likely Japanese.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Those are cool! I have seen some stamped "brevetebrevetebrevetebrevete", "fabriquefabriquefabriquefabrique" etc, I guess they didn't think it was worth the effort to make more than one stamp ;)

I have a Chinese pistol in my collection, but it's a total fantasy piece. It's a wild mix of design features from other pistols, and the frame is made from three pieces of flat stock that have been "laminated" by riveting and soldering them together. The caliber appears to be .30 Mauser (a Chinese favorite), but I have never had the balls to shoot it and I don't think it would be wise to do it either. The bore does have rifling, but it's a super fast twist that almost looks like it was cut with a dull 5/16" tap. This is a scary piece, it's probably more dangerous to the shooter than to the intended target! :eek:
Reminds me of the Jo.Lo.Ar. A couple of Stateside hen's teeth in this thread!

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
When I was in the P.I., a local character wanted to sell me a S&W J frame 38- some kind of a Philippine Constabulary 'helper'

Guns were verboton for civilians, martial law time ,Marcos was in power. GI's not allowed to have them off base except for OSI etc.

"Ah hell let me see it any way."

Damn thing was painted looked like a Mod 36. Paint was fading. looked bronze where the pain had worn off

Appeared that made out of brass! Might have worked for a cylinder or two.

Wanted to get it for a souvenir, but decided not to- not worth the trouble.

No fun in the brig much less a PI jail.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Reminds me of the Jo.Lo.Ar. A couple of Stateside hen's teeth in this thread!
I guess it does show some similarities. I haven't tried to take it apart (and I actually think it's permanently riveted and brazed together), but it has a slot for an external disconnector and a solid, pivoting trigger so I suspect that the action is inspired by the Ruby pistols. It's kinda funny that the slide has a front band like on the Berettas, but it has a slit right through for the front sight so it doesn't serve any purpose at all. And since I'm in the gun grip business, I might make some reproductions of those beautifully hand crafted grip panels. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Forgotten Weapons has a number of good videos on Chinese mystery pistols, worth a look!

Was sure this was going to be a thread about the SA-80, Mauser's BHP copy actually made by FEG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts