Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This came 38 Colt Police Positive (38 S&W) from a police officers Son (He had two of the same caliber. The other one was well used.)It came with a holster from a company during the 20s. The condition is mint.....bluing, grips and barrel. It would make an excellent addition to any Colt or handgun collection. You'll never find a better one! These pistols were used by Police forces in the 20s and 30s.
625 + 10 shipping

Thanks for looking,
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Would you be so kind as to post some additional details? Specifically, I would like to know:

1. What barrel length?
2. What types of grips (checkered walnut or hard rubber)?
3. Based on serial number, when was it made? I ask because there were several design differences which appeared in 1928.

Also, photos would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Confirmed 1928 year made
Both Proofhouse.com and Colt's website show that serial number assigned to a 1932-vintage Police Positive 38. Colt's website does show a 1928, but as a Police Positive Special, not a Police Positive. Is there some other reference which you have available?

Not arguing, but wondering and trying to learn. Nevertheless, a very nice looking revolver. And a lefty holster.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Police Positive Second Issue added a grooved top strap to cut glare, and had a slightly heavier frame.
The distance between the rear of the trigger guard and the front of the grip frame was increased to allow more room for fingers.
It was made from 1928 to 1947.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Larry Wilson's table dates the revolver to 1932.

Transition from hard rubber stocks to walnut 1924. You can see in the photos that the revolver has the wide (1 3/4") butt grip frame. The hard rubber stocks only fit the narrow (1 9/16") grip frame.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tache, I hope you don't store it in the holster........TOO nice (The son,like his Father, kept the worn P.P. Colt in the holster and not the nice one!)
Joe

·
Registered
206 Posts
No sir, the only time my guns see holsters is when I'm wearing them. I'm a big believer in Bore-Stores when they're being stored in the safe.

I would ask a favor though. Since you obtained this revolver from the son of the man who carried it on-duty, do you think that he might be willing to provide some documentation regarding it? Perhaps a short write-up with the father's name and badge number, rank or duties, which department he worked for, and that sort of thing. It wouldn't provide any monetary value, but it might help out some future collector, 100 years down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.