Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody;

I'm working on a new rig for a client out west, Calgary, Alberta and although it isn't finished just yet I figured you might like a look at it as it is. I only have the strong (right side) holster finished at the moment and the belt of course. I expect to start working on the cross-draw holster tomorrow.

The gun-belt is two pieces of 10 oz. cowhide, and the holsters are 8 oz. The tooling is your standard stuff, and while I do rather like the basketweave pattern, it's also what the client ordered so that was nice. I still have the belt to stitch and as I said, the other holster has yet to be made. The buckle is one of those large silver (corner clipped) jobs you see so often on cowboy rigs.

The two holes at the top of the knife sheath are for a couple of engraved Chicago screws.

There's a coffin handled Bowie there too as he wanted a "period" type case for that also.

Thanks for looking, and as always, I would appreciate any comments at all.

Bud

Leather Carving Tray Wood Leather Wallet Fashion accessory Dog collar Leather Coin purse Collar Wood Copper Metal Brown Leather Knife Fashion accessory Everyday carry

·
The Consummate Collector
7,513 Posts
Bud. Your work is just outstanding and I love seeing it each time you post. How is that new sewing machine working? I bet it is a lot faster. If the above holster is going to have a cross draw as well as the right side holster then where is the knife going to ride?

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Great work as usual, bud. I like that innovative border around the basket weave on the belt. That little "Christmas tree" stamp, I mean.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Hey Bud...Great leather work. I really like the additional sheath. How are you coming along with that new stitching machine? Saving your fingers I hope.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hello Cam;

Thanks so much for the kind comments, I really appreciate it.

The spot that I personally like to place the knife is on the left hip up close the end of the cartridge loops. That way it's easily available if you still have the Colt in your right hand. There's three or four inches of room just perfect for a knife sheath. Here's a pic.

The Boss stitching machine was giving me a little trouble at first but seems ok now that it's properly set up.
Gun Wood Gun accessory Trigger Scabbard

Bud. Your work is just outstanding and I love seeing it each time you post. How is that new sewing machine working? I bet it is a lot faster. If the above holster is going to have a cross draw as well as the right side holster then where is the knife going to ride?

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Matt;

I really enjoy trying out new borders (on scrap pieces of course) as it gives me ideas for later as well. I'm sure you've done a few yourself, right Matt? I've found that I can use that "Christmas Tree" (with other stamps) and come up with a lot of different variations for borders.

Bud

Great work as usual, bud. I like that innovative border around the basket weave on the belt. That little "Christmas tree" stamp, I mean.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey John, thanks a bunch my friend, glad you like it.

The new machine is terrific now that I know how to set it up properly. The first day or two was a nightmare, but then I had a great thought. I must be a genius, cuz I sez to myself, "Bud, go forth, find the fricken manual, and read it!!" Then, like a thunderbolt from the Gods, I had another revelation and thought, hmmmmmmm, perhaps I should go and look at the DVD they sent in the box.

Those "visions" helped a lot John, thanks for asking.

The only issue I still have with it is setting the stitch length when changing from say, two layers of leather to three or four layers. The thicker the material, the shorter the stitch is until you change it by the wee knob on the front of the machine.

Bud

Hey Bud...Great leather work. I really like the additional sheath. How are you coming along with that new stitching machine? Saving your fingers I hope.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey John, thanks a bunch my friend, glad you like it.

The new machine is terrific now that I know how to set it up properly. The first day or two was a nightmare, but then I had a great thought. I must be a genius, cuz I sez to myself, "Bud, go forth, find the fricken manual, and read it!! "Then, like a thunderbolt from the Gods, I had another revelation and thought, hmmmmmmm, perhaps I should go and look at the DVD they sent in the box.

Those "visions" helped a lot John, thanks for asking.

The only issue I still have with it is setting the stitch length when changing from say, two layers of leather to three or four layers. The thicker the material, the shorter the stitch is until you change it by the wee knob on the front of the machine.

Bud

Reactions: jcs

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Super work Bud. Now then, lemme pass on some sage wisdom my grandpa gave me. "READ THE MANUAL FIRST, It'll ease the pain of brain drain". I admit to not having always followed this practice but over the years certain things just require that wee bit of preparation in order to alleviate problems mid step. I'm sure you're getting close to mastering the controls and the leatherwork looks great.

Reminds me I need to visit Bob as I haven't checked in on him in a few weeks or better. Keep us posted on the project, you know I love seeing your work.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Jeff;

Ya know it's funny because I often joke to the wife about the pamphlet or stapled sheets of instructions that usually come with one of those "kitchen-in-a-box" type of things, always thinking that I, am just too smart to need a few pages of "distructions" as Nick calls them, or, for that matter, requiring help, from anyone, until.......................... DANG!! what do I do next? She was home later in the afternoon when she obviously heard me struggling with the thing.

Well, I have to admit that if I'd read the entire set of instructions before I started, it might just have been a little easier right from the start. Ya know the worst part though? When my wife said, "huh, I was wondering when you'd get around to that"

Bud

Super work Bud. Now then, lemme pass on some sage wisdom my grandpa gave me. "READ THE MANUAL FIRST, It'll ease the pain of brain drain". I admit to not having always followed this practice but over the years certain things just require that wee bit of preparation in order to alleviate problems mid step. I'm sure you're getting close to mastering the controls and the leatherwork looks great.

Reminds me I need to visit Bob as I haven't checked in on him in a few weeks or better. Keep us posted on the project, you know I love seeing your work.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Hey Bud...Those manuals and DVD's actually work. Why is it that we never look at them until we get stumped? Probably actually save a lot of time if we'd just look at them first. Oh well, hard to teach and old dog new tricks I guess. Glad you got her running.

Reactions: Matchlock

·
Registered
205 Posts
Bud, are you using the Tippmann to stitch this new rig? Or did you already start it before you had the machine set up and ready to go? If you ever have any problems down the line, there's some good advice on the Boss (and many other stitchers) on leatherworker.net in the sewing machines subforum.

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for that tip Paul, and I have seen that Leatherworkers forum before and go there once in a while. Perhaps I may frequent it a bit more now that I have a real need. I may even be able to pass on some tips of my own one day to help others with the same issues I have.

I had started the rig and I'm going to redo the holster with the Boss when I get a few minutes.

One thing I learned Paul is that you have to be real good at stitch length adjustment for some job, and I haven't got that far yet. For example, that Bowie knife sheath is tapered from the opening to the bottom tip of the sheath. It goes from 3/4" at the top to a little over 3/8" at the bottom and adjusting the stitch length so that they are all the same length is difficult at best. I must have sewn about a dozen samples already and none are correct yet.

Thanks again Paul

Bud

Bud, are you using the Tippmann to stitch this new rig? Or did you already start it before you had the machine set up and ready to go? If you ever have any problems down the line, there's some good advice on the Boss (and many other stitchers) on leatherworker.net in the sewing machines subforum.

Paul

·
Registered
223 Posts
...ANOTHER beauty, ML

LOVE the color (Rust?), and the sunburst or even looks a little Inca-like border pattern on the belt outside the weave.

Hmmmm, that would be interesting - an Inca, South Am. indigenous indian theme pattern on a Western holster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts