Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long shot but does anyone else happen to own a Colt New Service fix sighted gun with the following barrel mark. I have seen all the other markings so just wonder if anyone has a New Service with this marking. This is the marking for what became the .44 RUSSIAN and was on the New Services in 1899. A few of the target sighted guns have shown up but only a couple of standard sight New Services.

Thanks,

Cam.

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
I had a very early New Service Target Model decades ago that was .44 Russian bored out to .44 Special. I think the gun was from 1900. I believe it had markings like this. I seem to recall being told once that the word “FOR” included was very rare. I think I owned one of the earliest target models. If I find a picture of it showing the barrel markings I’ll post it.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The barrel marking has an almost pantagraphed appearance. Maybe there was no roll die for that particular marking.
Jonny. I believe that the example shown was re-furbished so it was most likely re-cut. Shown below is one from my collection which is an original Colt marking.

The marking for this caliber progressed from 1899 to 1945 through these three markings:

Cam

·
The Consummate Collector
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The overruns on the letters, especially the W in S&W particularly stood out.
Yes, I noticed the same thing. That nickel gun is in England and was most likely re-done over there. I posted it because the lettering stood out better than on one of my old blue guns. Just trying to see if someone might own one on the Forum. That barrel marking was used very early in production and changed over to the .44 RUSSIAN at about S/N 5000 in 1900.

Cam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts