Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone;

Well, we have a brand new shooter in the world.

One of my granddaughters has been telling me that she's like to shoot a handgun someday and every time she comes over to the house, we often talk more about them and I try to teach her things about them here in my office.

Yesterday morning I took her out to the range near the house and after some preliminary important stuff (sight picture, finger outside guard, muzzle control etc.) with each gun, we loaded up a 6" .22 Calrevolver and had a bit of fun. For a young lady that's never shot a gun in her life she did very well.

After a few cylinders full of .22 Cal we moved on to a 4" .38 Special. (one of our departments old relics that I'd hung onto) and she fired about fifty rounds of that. Then, the last one she wanted to try was my old Colt Gov.Model .45 ACP At first it was just one round in the mag until she got the feel of it but in short order she was shooting like a champ. She kept them all on a B-29 like target so I called it a successful day and she went home with bragging rights to show her kids and her mom.

The worst part of the shoot was me, trying to stay vertical on bumpy ground. Couldn't get my chair up the grassy hill with all the bumps and ruts.

Oh, and since someone will surely notice, the answer is "Yes" I had eyes and ears on when the shooting began each time.

Thanks for looking everyone,

Bud

Crissy_1A.jpg Crissy_2A.jpg

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
It is so much fun to take your childred or grandchildren to the range for the first time! I always did a training sesson before range time to make them feel more "comfortable" when learning the stance and arm positions at the range. Thanks for posting the pictures of your granddaughter and I hope she keeps up the fun. She will always remember that day the rest of her life with very fond memeories of you!!!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I took my 13 year old to an outdoor range for the first session and she was all over the target, but after talking to her, I corrected her stance and hold, she got better. The second trip was to an indoor range for more practice. The third trip was back to the indoor range due to rain that day and she has gotten point shooting down very well. Here are 2 photos and the first one was her first trip out at the outdoor range. The second photo is her third trip at the indoor range and again all shooting was point shooting. I think she is a natural now, LOL. She liked my H&K VP9 so much, I bought her one and gave her a 9mm Sig also. She has done so well with safety, I allow her to have the H&K with magazine loaded, but not one in the chamber in her room. She has been trained in safety for when to shot and not to shoot. I also let her shoot my Colt .45 acp, but she did not like it too much, LOL!

IMG_1430.JPG Emily With 9mm & .45 acp rounds.JPG

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Congrats on your experience & story. Reminds me about 40 years ago my Daughter 21 was in Denver going to school. Decided she needed protection & gave her a 6" nickel & pearl S&W I'd traded for. She was acquainted with her .22 rifle, so we went out to give her some .38 Special experience. I told her self defense with a handgun was not the same as with her .22... In this case it was to be able to hit a paper plate ten feet away with every shot DA, just point & shoot. Before we finished the first box, she was doing it ----->

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I started teaching both my girls when they were about 5 yrs old using an 1898 SA .44 spcl. using wax bullets,this taught them proper procedure on loading then shooting & safe gun handling not to mention hitting the target [email protected] first the gun was a little heavy for them but I helped them hold it until they could do it themselves.Today my surviving daughter handles a .44 magnum very well & is no slouch w/a 1911 .45acp.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Good on ya Bud, and everyone else who pass the love and safety of shooting on to the next generations! And God bless you, my dear friend, for getting it done despite any dadgum roadblocks in your way! ;)

I passed on my love of shooting and hand loading to my late daughter and son-in-law and our son. He and I, together, are passing it on to the grandkids as they desire to learn. Our oldest grandson, now 25, is a neuroscientist at the University of Tennessee in his doctorate program and currently living with us. So he is constantly immersed in gun safety, shooting and hand loading.

His dad, Blake, and 'Ol Grampa Tony !

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Couple weeks ago I, along with my son and 11 year old grandson, my 16 year old granddaughter and her 16 year old boyfriend went to the pasture to shoot. My son and granddaughter 's boyfriend had some friendly competition shooting clay pigeons while granddaughter kept score. I started my grandson off with a 22 rifle at my dirt pile. After a while he was comfortable shooting a 20 qauge shotgun. Before we quit he moved up to a 12 gauge and he enjoyed every shot.

Back at the clay pigeon competition I talked my granddaughter into shooting a clay pigeon. She is an excellent softball hitter so I talked her thru that hitting a clay target was like hitting a softball, eyes on target, swing thru target, make contact and follow thru. First and only shot, she smoked the pigeon. While we all had fun, that was the highlight of the day.

Forgot to add, grandmother came to watch and had an enjoyable time also.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments and other great stories of taking the younger ones out shooting.

Sorry for the long delay in replying though, but I've been a little under the weather lately but I'm back again.

Thanks again for all your friendship.

Bud

1 - 20 of 21 Posts