Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings just thought but how about additional sub category
on holster , , how colt men ( and ladies ) wear there colt shooting irons , just a thought rj /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Mr. Adminstrator, I was also thinking of new catagories and I'd like to see two new catagories added.

Colt Collecting

Colt's at the range (shooting)

How bout it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
both are good ideas, but the problem is the board doesn't get enough traffic to warrant new sections. i had to pare down the original number of sections because some sections only had a handful of posts since the life of the board.

so what happens is that everyone wants to post in the section with the most threads(revolvers) instead of the appropriate one.

but i'll tell you what, if the membership doubles, i consider more sections. easiest way to increase membership is for the membership to recruit new members from other gun boards. a good way to attract new members is to use a signature similar to mine on other boards.

keep the suggestion coming....thanks...

-cfadmin

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Sir, Even though the membership has not doubled the number of posts has gone up 10 fold of that 6 months ago. I wasn't a member 6 months ago but I've gone back to research the traffic realized in the past and it has picked up many times over.

This board was dead. Now it's alive, exciting and educational. Lets keep the board growing. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You could also add a catagory called "Snake Guns". There's a few guys here that love those snakes. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Sir, Here's another idea. Break out the revolvers section into 2 different sections. "Colt Pre-war Revolvers" and Colt "Post-war Revolvers". Grandfather them in and arhieve Revolvers as read only or reference only.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
This board was dead. Now it's alive, exciting and educational.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say this board was dead. Most members had been at the game for quite a while. Unless one of us ran across something really unique most conversations were just answering Colt questions. Only now you will see the Lounge getting any traffic. Look at the topic starters and most of them are the newer members. This board has always been more of a resource then just general talk. That's probably why the rif-raf have been kept to a miminum and the administrators have had such an easy job. Growing is nice, but if we follow the path of most other forums then I hope we stay just like we are. We can always visit other forums for drama.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I suppose there are different people w/ diff opp., however I too would like a different section JUST on collectors where folks can specificly ask collector questions.

HOWEVER, I would love to see a shooter section so we can discuss shooting questions.....the two have nothing in common and I have already found myself on the "wrong end" of a conversation.

As an individual talks about his/her pistol, a distinct difference on how a conversation goes is framed by, "Is it a shooter or collector".

I like the idea of maybe seeing a clear division of topics to maybe help us newbies stay in our place and MAYBE actually help add to the answers.

I'm a fairly accomplished shooter and have shot IDPA, NRA, and mil - comp.

As an example, where would a guy pose a question about shooting a vintage 1911 in CMP?

How about a question about cowboy comp shooting?

These guns hold their value, look great, and have a cool history, but they function well too.....

Just my .02

Lee

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't think anyone who participates wants to "keep newbies in their place" as I am also new this year. As it stands now, most topics such as you mention would appear in the Lounge. I also would like to see more catagories, but I also suspect that many catagories won't get a lot of traffic. I assume that having more catagories means more cost to the administration. Perhaps part of the answer is to choose the post title carefully so that it is more practicable to go back to it from a resouce perspective.

Personally, I welcome anything you want to say. I also like to see some new ideas and perspectives. Aren't they all collectors? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
When the original post doesn't state the intended usage a question is asked of the poster so the correct answers can be given. More so than the answers being misdirected, it's a matter of how the question is posed. We have no control of how they were asked so questions are asked of the poster to help clarify things. Revolver question, no matter what the nature, goes in the revolver section and the same for the semi-autos. If you add more sections then you reduce your chances of getting an answer because everyone may not go thru all the sections and one of those people just may have your answer or an idea of how to obtain it.
Unless there are major problems and considering the small membership and activity why sub-divide a simple format? Is something really not working for someone here?

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Is something really not working for someone here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno if it wasn't working well as apposed to raising the question and just discussing it. I was mearly adding to the discussion.

If the FORUM never changed would be fine with me, and most likely everyone else.......just talking.

As far as every pistol being a collector.....I dunno, I think thats just a different frame of mind (different from mine). However, I may one day change my tune.

Thank God I have you guys to teach me "right from wrong" and I am constantly more aware of these weapon's history and value. This is giving me a new appriciation.

Lee

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
While I don't strongly disagree with any of the opinions expressed, I do think that care in titling could satisy the concerns at least in the short term. Those who cared to could even tack an unofficial category into their topic titles. The difficulty with extensive organization is what is wrong with 'phone menus - they are a pain in the butt (round or square). Those who are new to guns / new to Colts / new to the board may have difficulty deciding on the "correct" category. Never happen you say? How many times on this and other boards have you seen stuff for sale in other than the "Trading Post"?
Just my $.03 (rarer than $.02). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Just my $.03 (rarer than $.02). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats just plain funny....I don't care who ya are! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't they all collectors? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. Is a refinished gun a "collector" gun. I think not.

I think very few members know what a true collector gun is even if they were holding it in their hand. A gun in 10% condition may be the rarest gun on the planet. Most would pass it up due to condition.

I shake my head everytime I see the enormous prices that .22LR Diamondbacks are going for. A 'collector' would never jump on on a 22 cal Diamondback even at half the currect values. Snake guys think they're jumping on a gem. Well, if your narrow minded then you got a gem at a outragous price.

How about a gun serialed in the range of a Police Positive Special with no barrel markings? Phoney or a rare fine?

I have a lot to learn when it comes to collecting. There's many more members making mistakes daily. I was once in that camp where I was completely directionless.

I think there is a extreme need for a collectors catagory.

We all know how to shoot. Well...we know how to pull the trigger /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I know of a forum that has a catagory "newbies check here before posting". It would answer questions like "how can I tell if my gun is a square or round butt". "nomenclature of a revolver" "nomenclature of a pistol" "protecting a gun from rust" etc. etc.

.03 cents /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Addicted: You disagree with my "collector" comment.... relax, man! It was a joke! Didn't you see the smiley?

That said, if you move back in time to say 1940.... what we consider 1st generation Colt Single Actions (or at least the ones that date prior to 1920) were still commonly in use. The standard production black powder guns were probably considered collectors then to some degree. At that time, few would consider a 20% gun a collector gun. But, they are now. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Even refinished guns are collected. It is all a question of supply and demand as to what defines a collector versus a shooter.

By the way, some of the enormous prices that are being paid for Diamondbacks may be justified to some extent. What is different about Diamondbacks? I believe the biggest attribute of Diamondacks is that they look like Pythons (what has become the classic and most recognizable modern revolver form), and they were made in 22 LR and 38spl and perhaps a few 22 WMR's; and lastly they are no longer made. What is so great about a BOA? Nothing.... just production figures and the name.

I'm pretty comfortable with the main sub-headings for posting.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I know of a forum that has a catagory "newbies check here before posting". It would answer questions like "how can I tell if my gun is a square or round butt". "nomenclature of a revolver" "nomenclature of a pistol" "protecting a gun from rust" etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
And, of course, you always read the instructions. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Oh, and a $.03 opinion is more valuable than a $.02 opinion because there are fewer of them made. Therefore, they are more collectible.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Addicted you seem to be trying to lump all collectors into one group which is wrong. Not every collector has been at the game for years. At this very moment someone somewhere has made the decision to collect. A collector has set specific goals for himself (or herself). A dedicated Diamondback collector just getting started will pay todays prices because that's their only option to achieve their personal goals. Now we can remember the prices of yesterday and occasionally see the old ads stating them, but that mean nothing today to the collector just getting started. Does that make them narrow minded because they can't bring back the past and have to live in todays world? The rarest gun in the world could be in 10% condition or 100% condition, but if it don't fit in the scheme of what's being collected then it will get passed by.
Don't try to put any bounds on collecting. The scheme may be specific or it may be general, but it's totally up to the individual who is collecting. That is what's meant by "what's one man's trash is another's treasure". You may think something is great and be really proud of it. I on the other hand wouldn't give you $.02 for it because I'm looking for something totally different. Does that make either one of us less of a collector?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Being new here myself, here's my take. The catagories we have now, while very basic, get the job done.

Prewar and Postwar- Revo's? Autos? Both?

What about a general Colt discussion in the meantime to catch accessory, carry, or shooting questions? Include the "New here? Read this" sticky. That's a good idea.

I'd like a USGI forum. Open to everything from SAA's to 1911's to M16's. A Pony and a Property mark get you in.

BTW- I'm the first to direct folks here when they have a Colt question.

Brian

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll second what Magic said-

"Unless there are major problems and considering the small membership and activity why sub-divide a simple format? Is something really not working for someone here?"

Having checked this forum nearly daily for several years, I have found several nice deals, a whole bunch of useful information, and alot of nice people to converse with, both on and off the forum.

To the Adminstrator/Moderators: Thanks and keep up the good work! I like it here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
73 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I assume that having more catagories means more cost to the administration.

[/ QUOTE ]
actually, there's no added costs to adding new categories. the old categories are still available but just turned off. and i can add categories at will.

i dont mind having a bazillon categories ala glocktalk, but the number of categories generally are proportional to the traffic of any board.

i think(and i could be wrong) one of the reasons for a pickup in traffic was because of the paring down of sections from the old board. personally, if i go to a board and there are several sections with threads with last posted dates that are three to five years old, i wouldn't bother joining/posting to that board because it looks like a low traffic board.

this is exactly what the old forum was looking like...it had, i forget, four to five sections that had threads that were last dated five years ago....looked like a fairly inactive board at first sight.

so, again, i'm not against adding new sections...it doesn't cost me anything. but remember that your individual wants don't necessarily translate into what is best for the board...that said, many people with the same individual want, ie, alot people want the same change, can affect change faster. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

keep the comments coming....

-cfadmin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts