Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2nd model Woodsman Match Target "Tombstone" magazine recently. It arrived in the mail today and is in quite nice condition. Very pleased with that aspect. However, the follower will only slide down far enough to load 5 rounds instead of 10. Looking inside the mag, the slide follower spring guide rod is quite a bit longer than the ones in my other (4) Tombstone magazines. So, I guess the question of the day is, did Colt make a version of this mag that is only for 5 rounds? I have never seen one before but can see the need for a 5 round mag for some shooting matches. So, do I modify the spring guide rod? buy one of the short guide rods and change it out or just leave it alone? If it is rare I don't want to mess it up!!! What say ye?

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
No.

Disassemble the magazine and look for something that's acting as a block.

Target shooters were notorious for small modifications.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No.

Disassemble the magazine and look for something that's acting as a block.

Target shooters were notorious for small modifications.
I can see inside the magazine and see a (much) longer spring guide rod. In this mag, the cast aluminum follower bottoms out against the guide rod that is about 1/2 the length of the magazine (about 2" long). In my other Trombone mags, the spring guide rod is only about 1/4" long. The long guide rod looks to be a manufactured piece, not just a Bubba insert.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Bought a 2nd model Woodsman Match Target "Tombstone" magazine recently. It arrived in the mail today and is in quite nice condition. Very pleased with that aspect. However, the follower will only slide down far enough to load 5 rounds instead of 10. Looking inside the mag, the slide follower spring guide rod is quite a bit longer than the ones in my other (4) Tombstone magazines. So, I guess the question of the day is, did Colt make a version of this mag that is only for 5 rounds? I have never seen one before but can see the need for a 5 round mag for some shooting matches. So, do I modify the spring guide rod? buy one of the short guide rods and change it out or just leave it alone? If it is rare I don't want to mess it up!!! What say ye?
Yes, Colt made them! They are rare though. In all my years of Woodsman collecting I have only seen one or two. A long time ago I was aware of an early advt for them, but I don't remember where. I do remember that it was in a footnote style, as in *5 round magazine also available or similar wording.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Colt22dotcom (Bob) is correct. These 5 shot magazines are listed as part 50090 in the early Colt Woodman Instructions along with part 50091 - Magazine Spring Guide 5 shot. The 5 shots differ on the outside with the magazine follower removal slot at the top of the magazine vs at the bottom for the 10 shot. I have 5 shot magazine that was converted to 10 shot, as many were, and would be interested in seeing a photo of your 5 shot dissembled to show part 50091. Jackson

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
Looks like Bubba worked at Colt!

a51g, please post pictures of the disassembled magazine so we all can see such a rare magazine!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Colt22dotcom (Bob) is correct. These 5 shot magazines are listed as part 50090 in the early Colt Woodman Instructions along with part 50091 - Magazine Spring Guide 5 shot. The 5 shots differ on the outside with the magazine follower removal slot at the top of the magazine vs at the bottom for the 10 shot. I have 5 shot magazine that was converted to 10 shot, as many were, and would be interested in seeing a photo of your 5 shot dissembled to show part 50091. Jackson
Will disassemble the mag later today and take some pictures. The removal slot on my mag is at the bottom like a "normal" Tombstone magazine. It may have been a 10 rd mag that was converted to 5.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
2nd Series Magazines 007.JPG 2nd Series Magazines 008.JPG 2nd Series Magazines 009.JPG

Actually the 5 shot limiter could have been purchased from the Colt Factory and applied to any of the 3 types of 2nd Series "Tombstone" magazines.
Disassembly your magazine and replace the 5 Shot Limiter with regular 2nd Series Magazine Spring Guide available at Jack First or Numrich.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
OTOH, 10 round magazines with the removal slot near the top are far more common than are 5 round magazines regardless of the location of the removal slot. The early second series magazines were dis-assembled exactly like the prewar magazines, with a non-removable base plate, and a removal slot for the thumb piece near the top.

The later ones, with the removal slot near the bottom, had a removable base plate for dis-assembly through the bottom, whether 10 round or special order 5 round.

I believe that yours is an unmodified special ordered 5 round magazine, not a modified 10 round.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok, folks, here is a photo of the disassembled magazine in question. Parts top to bottom are: magazine base, follower and tombstone thumb slide, magazine body, 5 rd spring guide and spring. As you can see, the spring guide is much longer than the one used in a 10 rd mag. Pretty sure it is a factory Colt part. Just not sure if it came from Colt already in the magazine or was added later. Thoughts?

IMG_1526 (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
It would be anyone's guess if the magazine came from the factory as a 5 shot limited magazine.
But what I do know, it is not the magazine as a whole that is rare, it is the Factory 5 shot limiter Magazine Spring Guide that is of added value.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
OTOH, 10 round magazines with the removal slot near the top are far more common than are 5 round magazines regardless of the location of the removal slot. The early second series magazines were dis-assembled exactly like the prewar magazines, with a non-removable base plate, and a removal slot for the thumb piece near the top.

The later ones, with the removal slot near the bottom, had a removable base plate for dis-assembly through the bottom, whether 10 round or special order 5 round.

I believe that yours is an unmodified special ordered 5 round magazine, not a modified 10 round.
My MT was made about September of 1949 and delivered in December of 1949. When I bought the gun, it came with 2 identical mags like the 2nd type. I have since acquired 3 more for a total of 5. My plan is to use it to shoot in .22 falling plate matches which are a timed event. Having to stop and reload a magazine is just not practical! In the last match, there were 5 stages. I cleaned 2 stages, did real well in a third one and kind of fell apart on two. Time to practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Received the 10 rd guide rod from Numrich and swapped the parts out in the mag. Now it is a full 10 rd version! I put the 5 rd guide rod in a labled bag with my other Woodsman spare bits and pieces. One of these days, I need to walk my son thru all my "junk". Some of it is worth a tidy bit of change! Don't want him throwing it away or selling it for 10 cents on the dollar!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had a Woodsman 1st series magazine that had a 5 shot limiter in it also. Looked factory made. was a piece of blued metal which sat in the bottom of the magazine with 2 sides, one longer than the other coming up through the spring to limit the follower to only 5 rounds. All I had to do was remove it and continue using the original spring to make it 10 rounds again. I thing I sold it on ebay for $50.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts