Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sorting all kinds of stuff inherited from my father, I have found this oiler. Embossed on its body, one can read “ The perfect pocket oiler” and on its base “made in the USA”. There are several features that have attracted my attention to this object. First its size and shape since it looks like a dummy cal.50 cartridge. Second, its base that exhibits a kind of primer. Third, the oil dispenser system looks to have been designed to drop oil in a barrel just pushing the oiler against the muzzle. My guess is that this oiler was manufactured in the 30's or early 40's. Could it have been part of the GI's equipment ? (The shiny aspect of the oiler does not support this guess that much but…?).
Any of you has ever seen a similar oiler? More pieces of information are welcome.

Oiler 01 (2).JPG Oiler 02.JPG Oiler 03.JPG Oiler 04.JPG ) Oiler 05.JPG

Wish you all a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Hi all,

Sorting all kinds of stuff inherited from my father, I have found this oiler. Embossed on its body, one can read “ The perfect pocket oiler” and on its base “made in the USA”. There are several features that have attracted my attention to this object. First its size and shape since it looks like a dummy cal.50 cartridge. Second, its base that exhibits a kind of primer. Third, the oil dispenser system looks to have been designed to drop oil in a barrel just pushing the oiler against the muzzle. My guess is that this oiler was manufactured in the 30's or early 40's. Could it have been part of the GI's equipment ? (The shiny aspect of the oiler does not support this guess that much but…?).
Any of you has ever seen a similar oiler? More pieces of information are welcome.

View attachment 454394 View attachment 454402 View attachment 454410 View attachment 454418 ) View attachment 454434

Wish you all a Happy New Year.

Yep...intended for Sewing Machines, Fire Arms, Fishing Reels, you name it...anything smallish which required a little Oiling now and then.

Nice design..!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi friends,

Dogface, Prewoodsman and Oyeboten are right, it is intended to sewing machines. After a closer inspection, I have been able to read also "Cuhman & Denison .PAT. A-89 N-Y".

With this extra information I have run a search on the Web and got to this site :https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pe...Denison-NY-Pat-1889-Normal-Wear-/322404713070

(Hi Prewoodsman, you win by a length :rolleyes:)

No longer a mystery, I'd rather have heard it was for a gun instead of a sewing machine, but it's an old tool anyway ...

Thank you all for your input and have a nice day.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The M1 Carbine has one, it also holds the strap to the stock, it look's a lot like your Krag, I know everyone has seen one.
While the Krag oiler is similar in construction to the carbine oiler, it considerably larger and nickel plated rather than parkerized. The M1 carbine oiler was mounted in a clip on the left side of the M3 submachinegun. On the M3A1 version of the grease gun, among other changes, the oiler was made integral to the pistol grip.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts