Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a couple of .22s from the same era. The Colt, an Officer's Model Target purchased from a forum member, is a superb shooter with Eley 10X .22 match ammo. It's been back to Colt for an action re-time and a cleaning, and is now ready for another couple of generations of shooting fun. It wears an older set of Herrett Troopers with a left-handed thumbrest (I love Herrett's stocks, especially the Trooper). The K22, from '53, is also an X-ring puncher with 10X. I couldn't decide which to take to the range today, so I took both. Too easy.
Bob

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You have 2 great 22's. I would love to own a Colt like the one you have. I have owned 2 K22's and one was extremely accurate. Presently, I own a Model 18 that's quite accurate.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are a couple more, ... from 1948. Lots of fun!

Jerry

Nice .22s Jerry. I love contrasting the S&W and Colts...both have their winning points. Your OMT looks like a pre-war.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I always wanted to see a side by side shooting test between the two! That would be interesting. I do believe that the OMT above is a pre war/post war variation that has left a over pre war frame with a new sideplate that requires a rebated cylinder at the rear to accomdate a common 22/38 boss on the sideframe. Different variations of mixed parts - some have checkered triggers, some checkered cylinder releases, grooved backsraps intead of checkered and sometimes coltwood grips, not walnut and a dual tone blued finish. I keep thinking these pre war/post war's should be a separate "variation" that fits between a true pre war OMT and the short lived OMS. I believe these pre war/post war OMT's had their own serial number range that started in 1947 @ 50001 and finished @ 54449 in 1949 (BOCF-p354, 1st), although these might be just for the 22's?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bob,

The s/n on the OMT is 50629, which Proofhouse puts as 1948 - if I'm reading it correctly. (...and I've been wrong more than once - too!). ...and, I'm jealous of your Troopers. Jackson, I've taken these two out to the range together more than once, and I argue myself into a tizzy as to which is the better. Different triggers, grips, sights, .. slightly different balance - and they're cheap dates. I love 'em both!

Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts