Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this one out laying on my holster makin' work bench and it looked so photogenic I thought it deserved a picture. It's a 1992 .44-40 bought on this forum that only came with this .44 Special cylinder but pictured here with .44-40 rounds. I bought those grips in a gun shop about ten years ago with the eighty bucks I had just gotten for turning in a couple years worth of beer cans I had piled up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Non-factor grips, wrong cylinder, 3rd Gen. Lot going wrong with that revolver. Glad to take it off your hands! Love .44 Special and .44/40. Don't have one with pearls. Old towel makes a great backdrop.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Non-factor grips, wrong cylinder, 3rd Gen. Lot going wrong with that revolver. Glad to take it off your hands! Love .44 Special and .44/40. Don't have one with pearls. Old towel makes a great backdrop.
I have a nickel 2nd generation cylinder in .44 special I had rebored from .38 to "convertible-ize" my Centennial .44-40. That cylinder works perfect in this 3rd generation gun and looks really nice in it. If you liked those 1982 blued .44 specials with nickel cylinders like I do. I guess just a fluke where the rachets are compatible with a particular hand.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Burp,
I have a 1979 4 3/4” nickel in .44 Spec. And a Centennial .44 WCF which was issued in nickel. Some old Smiths in nickel now that I think on it. One Ace in nickel. Need to go through and jog my memory. I have a 1978 SAA 7.5” marked 44 WCF (unfluted) with a .44 Spec cylinder I bought 20 years ago NIB. Didn’t stay that way.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Burp,
I have a 1979 4 3/4” nickel in .44 Spec. And a Centennial .44 WCF which was issued in nickel. Some old Smiths in nickel now that I think on it. One Ace in nickel. Need to go through and jog my memory. I have a 1978 SAA 7.5” marked 44 WCF (unfluted) with a .44 Spec cylinder I bought 20 years ago NIB. Didn’t stay that way.
With only over 2,000 nickel Centennial .44-40s made, eventually a couple of us here are going to have guns consecutive to each other. Here's mine, #1917PC with the spare cylinder that fits perfectly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My pair is in the 290 range. Have the cases for both (taking up room). Same serial except for the letters pre/suf for the .45 and .44 WCF. Great 2rd Gens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had this one out laying on my holster makin' work bench and it looked so photogenic I thought it deserved a picture. It's a 1992 .44-40 bought on this forum that only came with this .44 Special cylinder but pictured here with .44-40 rounds. I bought those grips in a gun shop about ten years ago with the eighty bucks I had just gotten for turning in a couple years worth of beer cans I had piled up.

The pearl grips are a great look and the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I have S/N # 1558PC with the case and # 317MPC only that gun. I used both for more then 10 years in CAS with smokeless (CAS loads) and full house BP loads, no idea how many rounds are through them. :rolleyes:
Both guns show only very little flaking on the cylinder face and of course some holster wear mainly at the muzzle. After all these years of use they have only a very light drag line on the cylinders. I had to do one repair during the CAS use, one bolt spring had to be replaced. Both pistols are used "out of the box" without any tuning.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have S/N # 1558PC with the case and # 317MPC only that gun. I used both for more then 10 years in CAS with smokeless (CAS loads) and full house BP loads, no idea how many rounds are through them. :rolleyes:
Both guns show only very little flaking on the cylinder face and of course some holster wear mainly at the muzzle. After all these years of use they have only a very light drag line on the cylinders. I had to do one repair during the CAS use, one bolt spring had to be replaced. Both pistols are used "out of the box" without any tuning.

Great to see yours have been shot a lot. My wife bought my Centennial for me about twelve years ago. It was $1200 OTD and was the same gun shop where I bought those pearl grips. I was thrilled when the owner told me with sadness that it HAD been fired. Now it was guilt free shootin' for me. I consider the Centennials the best post war SAAs made. That probably includes the .45, too, which I've never owned.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Wyatt - really nice looking SAA with those MOPs. Its nice to remember those great deals ($80 MOPs!!!). Helps to forget those ones that got a way. Like the Peacemaker set - that had both Nickel and Blued SAAs in one case. I really lusted for a set of MOPs for the Nickel Centennial Model but decided to let most of my Commemorative Models go. I was buying them thru Cherry's Sporting Goods in the 70s when you had a reserved number that you had to buy when available - and too many disappointing issues came along. For a while I did have a great Buntline collection, the Ned Buntline NF, The Wyatt Earp Gold Buntline and the Wyatt Earp Lawman w/Shoulder Stock as well as a NIB 1958 Buntline with BB marked barrel. In other words, all the ones that I wish I still had. Jackson

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wyatt - really nice looking SAA with those MOPs. Its nice to remember those great deals ($80 MOPs!!!). Helps to forget those ones that got a way. Like the Peacemaker set - that had both Nickel and Blued SAAs in one case. I really lusted for a set of MOPs for the Nickel Centennial Model but decided to let most of my Commemorative Models go. I was buying them thru Cherry's Sporting Goods in the 70s when you had a reserved number that you had to buy when available - and too many disappointing issues came along. For a while I did have a great Buntline collection, the Ned Buntline NF, The Wyatt Earp Gold Buntline and the Wyatt Earp Lawman w/Shoulder Stock as well as a NIB 1958 Buntline with BB marked barrel. In other words, all the ones that I wish I still had. Jackson
That gold engraved Wyatt Earp Buntline was very flamboyant. I also like the gaudy Pat Garrett gun. Those pearls I have fit my Centennial real good. Here's an old picture of it with them and my 60s comic books.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here's mine

I really like the finish, or lack of, on this gun. What is it? Tarnished silver" And do those ruby eyes sit directly in the eye sockets or are they set in metal within the holes? Looks like metal around the rubies. I wish Colt stuck with these round bottom trigger guards.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts