Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

As a newbe cop in the early 1970's, I had a Python-fever that was to burn for many years. Most of the young cops within our PD, here in Columbus wanted a .357 to replace the .38 S&W Model 10 that was Department-issue. Back then the Department rules were much different than the existing/non-flexible rules of 2013! An officer in 1971-72-73 could purchase their own .357 and carry it on-duty (after) a quick qualification at the range. The .357 that most officers purchased then was the S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum in blue steel and a four-inch barrel. That is, those who could afford it! Most, if not all officers, desiring a .357 dreamed about getting a Colt Python. A blue steel, four-inch Python or the factory nickel Python in the same barrel length. A dream, that only 4-lucky-cops realized in 1973. For myself, and a few others, I settled on Mr. Bill Ruger's "new" Security-Six .357 that had just come out and was going for less than 100-dollars. That was within my 'compromised' budget and it took quite a few part-time jobs to acquire that 100-bucks necessary for the purchase. That made me appreciate my Ruger that much more but did nothing about the Python-dream. The pay of lawmen here in the south was modest, but well-stated, before I joined! I knew that being a policeman was not a job to get rich on. To serve and protect, under the worst of conditions or adversity and not to enrich myself at the expense of my soul! I made do with my blue steel 4-inch Security-Six until our S&W Model 66 came on the scene a few years later. Still no Python though! It wasn't until 2006 that I was to make that Python-dream come true. In 2006 a pawnshop owner, here in Columbus, called me about a 'special' Colt that was coming off pawn. He didn't tell me which model it was only that it was a double-action Colt and that's all he said. When I got there, nano-seconds later, Robbie smiled and reached under the counter and brought out the blue steel Python you see in this picture and shortly later a 35-year dream was made in reality! Robbie, a long term friend of mine knew about my Python dream from years past from many gun stories that we shared over our long friendship. For just over 600-dollars, his pawn total, this Python became mine. I had long since been off the streets as a beat cop and was deployed at the front desk of Fort Apache AKA: Health & Human Services Building, where as a Sergeant, with 4-troopers (deputies) in our squad, attempted to hold the peace in this sometimes, hostile environment. I, had at last, obtained the Colt prize, long wanted and dreamed of. I thank "GOD" for allowing me to make it this far and for protecting me from violent-minded individuals and from myself. Thank you my friends for allowing me to share my dream with you.
David

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr. Manderson, many thanks for your interest, along with my other friends here. My Colt is a 1966-era Python. A ever-so-slight ring around the cylinder. No box or paperwork came with it, but the 2006 price (600) was a true gift from a true friend! I never gave any 'serious' thought to shooting, this now heirloom. A true 'testament' to the finest of firearm craftsmanship and I am so fortunate and thankful to temporarily own it! A handgun, that with much pride, I'll pass down to my son. For a man, from a working class background and modest income, acquiring that Python was like winning the lottery, for me! Thanks again for your kind words, all!
David

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The old saying "All good things come to those that wait" was off repeated by my parents. In your case it came true. Beautiful '66 you have and might I suggest running a few cylinders through her to show your admiration. She was made to be fired, after all.

·
Registered
581 Posts
A great ending to a great story will be putting a few rounds through her. You have waited long enough, I guarantee after you empty the first cylinder you will be grinning from ear to ear! You have earned the right to experience that feeling!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.