Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm been an avid handgun shooter for 45 years with lots of trigger time behind competition 1911s, match .22s, and S&W and Ruger revolvers. I'm here with a positive report on some work that Mike Heffron at Heffron Precision did on my new model Python.

I decided to get my first Colt revolver earlier this year and purchased a new 4.25" Python in January from a dealer on GunBroker for a few hundred dollars over MSRP. The serial number was over 21000 so the gun had been recently manufactured. The Python had a pretty good DA pull, but it had a very disappointing single action trigger pull and a loose rear sight assembly. The SA trigger pull was close to 6 pounds and was not at all crisp.

I had purchased the Python with the intention that I would shoot it a lot. I will not tolerate a second rate trigger on a premium firearm so either the SA trigger pull had to be fixed or I would have to sell the Python.

I started searching the internet for a gunsmith with experience on new model Pythons. I found Heffron Precision on GunsAmerica, called Mike and we discussed the Python's trigger problem and what he could do to fix it. At the time we spoke, Mike had already done trigger jobs on over 100 new model Pythons and he had an opening in his shop to work on my Python in the next week, so I reserved his time by putting down a $40 deposit and I shipped him the Python. Within two and half weeks I had the Python back and was very happy with the trigger pull. The SA pull was light and crisp at around 3.5 - 3.75 pounds and the DA pull was lighter and smoother than it had been from the factory.

Unfortunately, due to some mainspring issues that caused light primer strikes on tough CCI and Fiocchi primers, I had to send the gun back to Mike several times for rework. Each time that I returned the gun, Mike paid the shipping. Each time, Mike completed the rework and returned the gun to me in a short amount of time. The second time I got the gun back, the rate of light primer strikes had been significantly reduced, but light strikes still happened occasionally. The third time I got the gun back the problem was completely fixed.

Mike was outstanding at communicating with me via phone calls and emails as he worked through issues with Python's mainspring. Ultimately he replaced the mainspring with a new spring from Colt and modified his procedure for working on Python mainsprings in order to better accommodate the variation in springs that Colt uses in the new model Pythons.

Mike also noticed the loose rear sight assembly when he was working on the gun and tightened it.

Mike's work on the trigger and the rear sight transformed the Python from an overpriced disappointment into my favorite .357 revolver. Since getting the Python back the last time, I've fired over 400 reloads that used a variety of primers and 100 rounds of factory ammo through the Python with no problems.

I am very happy with the work that Mike did on my new model Colt Python. I plan to send other guns to Heffron Precision for work and I recommend Mike's services to you if you want a decent trigger pull in your Python. Here's Heffron Precision's web site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I'm been an avid handgun shooter for 45 years with lots of trigger time behind competition 1911s, match .22s, and S&W and Ruger revolvers. I'm here with a positive report on some work that Mike Heffron at Heffron Precision did on my new model Python.

I decided to get my first Colt revolver earlier this year and purchased a new 4.25" Python in January from a dealer on GunBroker for a few hundred dollars over MSRP. The serial number was over 21000 so the gun had been recently manufactured. The Python had a pretty good DA pull, but it had a very disappointing single action trigger pull and a loose rear sight assembly. The SA trigger pull was close to 6 pounds and was not at all crisp.

I had purchased the Python with the intention that I would shoot it a lot. I will not tolerate a second rate trigger on a premium firearm so either the SA trigger pull had to be fixed or I would have to sell the Python.

I started searching the internet for a gunsmith with experience on new model Pythons. I found Heffron Precision on GunsAmerica, called Mike and we discussed the Python's trigger problem and what he could do to fix it. At the time we spoke, Mike had already done trigger jobs on over 100 new model Pythons and he had an opening in his shop to work on my Python in the next week, so I reserved his time by putting down a $40 deposit and I shipped him the Python. Within two and half weeks I had the Python back and was very happy with the trigger pull. The SA pull was light and crisp at around 3.5 - 3.75 pounds and the DA pull was lighter and smoother than it had been from the factory.

Unfortunately, due to some mainspring issues that caused light primer strikes on tough CCI and Fiocchi primers, I had to send the gun back to Mike several times for rework. Each time that I returned the gun, Mike paid the shipping. Each time, Mike completed the rework and returned the gun to me in a short amount of time. The second time I got the gun back, the rate of light primer strikes had been significantly reduced, but light strikes still happened occasionally. The third time I got the gun back the problem was completely fixed.

Mike was outstanding at communicating with me via phone calls and emails as he worked through issues with Python's mainspring. Ultimately he replaced the mainspring with a new spring from Colt and modified his procedure for working on Python mainsprings in order to better accommodate the variation in springs that Colt uses in the new model Pythons.

Mike also noticed the loose rear sight assembly when he was working on the gun and tightened it.

Mike's work on the trigger and the rear sight transformed the Python from an overpriced disappointment into my favorite .357 revolver. Since getting the Python back the last time, I've fired over 400 reloads that used a variety of primers and 100 rounds of factory ammo through the Python with no problems.

I am very happy with the work that Mike did on my new model Colt Python. I plan to send other guns to Heffron Precision for work and I recommend Mike's services to you if you want a decent trigger pull in your Python. Here's Heffron Precision's web site.
How did he tighten the rear sight as I have four of them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you for the post. I’ve seen other very positive reports for his work. I plan on purchasing a Python as soon as I can find one and will most likely pursue a trigger job for it.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I have been following and he has not posted pic yet to answer open question.
He said that he is using vice grips, but I don't see why that has to be the only approach. The idea is just to bend the fingers in slightly, which could possibly be done with a brass punch with the sight on a block or similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He said that he is using vice grips, but I don't see why that has to be the only approach. The idea is just to bend the fingers in slightly, which could possibly be done with a brass punch with the sight on a block or similar.
You're probably right about there being more than one way to bend the fingers. I imagine that using vice-grips with the right procedure could give you a very repeatable, controlled process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts