Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I mounted an Elliason rear sight and a Patridge front sight on my 6" Python. Unfortunately, the elevation screw bypasses the frame and seems to interfere with the cylinder rotation. I am missing something? Thanks Gianni Croce Italy

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
Without actually seeing the situation, I'm not sure what's wrong.

Do you mean the elevation screw threads into the hole in the frame, but projects through to the underside of the top strap so far that the screw actually touches the cylinder?

If so, is it possible the screw has been replaced with a longer screw?

·
Registered
806 Posts
As stated above, sounds like someone changed to a longer or maybe newer type screw, like the ones used on Rugers.
It would be the same sized thread, 6x48 tpi, but the threads must go the full length of the shaft, NOT have a clearance step like the Rugers do. This will cause it to bind against the cylinder when screwed all the way down.
If it has threads the full length, you can cut it down (shorten it slightly) and polish the end. If it's a Ruger screw , you cannot do this.
The Elliason, Accro, even the older 'Micro' screws will work in that sight. Should only be about 15/64" at the longest. Almost have to really "see it" as 'dfw' said.;)

You didn't 'possibly' lose the little ball bearing in the sight body did you? This would let the screw go down "too far" and you'd lose your 'detent' clicks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you every body for the attention. After a check of another Elliason set, it seems that the the first one had an abnormally long screw (one time and a half longer). I don't know why, maybe the set was for the 1911 Gold cup? I substituted the screw with the shorter one and all is fine. Thanks again, Gianni Croce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts