Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 1974 I bought a well used 1917 Colt 45 acp gun that was not in th best condition mechanically but had a great bore. I tried to find a Colt smith that could do the work but before the iinternet came about , there weren't many ways to find out and every lead that I came across fizzled. Well, back during the 80's I thinkk it was that Skeeter Skelton did an article where he took one and the Micro Signt co. did a make over on the gun with their sights and it was refinished and was now an outstanding example of a good all around useful revolver. Contact with Micro resulted in that I was not Skeeter and NO they would not duplicate the work but of I wanted their sights certainly I could buy them. Well my project languished some more. All new leads went nowhere. I thought a couple of times of just selling it but my dream wouldn't let me and I even bought a set of Sambar stags for it at a Birmingham, Al. gun show, for $20.00 ! That shows you how long it has been. Well the next part of the journey was with a guy that was a gunsmith that I got to know that said he could handle it. Eighteen months later he gave it back to me half complete and in a state of semi completion. He had only managed to get the micro front sight installed. Installed the S&W adjustable rear sight which he screwed up. Another period of time went by and a local gunsmith said I can do it. Another year goes by and he gave it back with no work done. I'm snake bit. In the safe it goes. Well, about a year ago, here on the Colt Forum, there was an article about a poster who had a Colt repaired by a gunsmith in Iowa and I called him and he said sure he would have a go at it. You know most smiths do not like to go behind someone else's cobbled up work. Off it went.It was a mess. What it took was, a new old stock ratchet, new ejector rod, new old stock hand, new mainspring, new latch pin, a few springs as far as parts. Mechanical work was square barrel stub, recut forcing cone, set end shake and headspace, time and tune the action. Getting the rear adjustable sight corrected with the milling work, etc was a nightmare unto itself but he got it right !! Took over a year and a couple of times I though "here we go again" Well two weeks ago a package arrives and it is my gun. COMPLETED !!!! No advance notice! It is CHRISTmas again! Whoopee. I looked in my log book the other day when I went looking for my reloads data sheet on it and the last time I fired it was on January 24, 1976. Now that has been a while.The other part of the surprise was the Invoice , zero, nada, nothing ! He stated that he had taken too long to do the work. Well, my old Daddy said that a job well done late is better than a crappy job on time. And folks this revolver is everything I wanted it to be. Tight, timed right, rock solid, sweet trigger, all of it. Sent the smith a check because you can't feed your family on free work, no matter the reason. Took it out with reloads this weekend.OH BABY, does this thing shoot sweet. I hsve one target, benched at 25 yards that has three shots in one hole, entire grup less than 1", no leading, no extraction problems, etc. My brother who was shooting with me started drooling and I did not think I would get it back. Sorry for the long post but wanted everone who has a project that is a passion to stay the course. It is so sweet when it comes together. Take care and be safe.
Bob

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
How the name and address of the gunsmith. Good gunsmiths that can work on the old style Colt DAs are not real common.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Two things wrong here. As others have said, no pictures, and I think the last gunsmith that did the great job and didnt want to charge you deserves some free advertiseing. Whats his name?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thats a really nice story. 76? Wow.

Glad it turned out well and you got what you wanted in it.

Patience has a place, and we -- aaah forget it.

Heeeeere pic, pic,pic, pic, pic

Cmon pics!

Hope we get to see the gem.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
We all need pictures to fully enjoy the story.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Project

Guys, I will have to get some pics up but will be next week probaby. My brother did keep it for a week so he could enjoy it. Couldn't refuse him since he does so much for me. The name of the gunsmith will have to wait until I get permision from him. Trust me I want to put his name out there so he can get some business but would want to make sure he is OK with it. The gun is in the white and has been since the first gunsmith and we are doing our research now on which product to cold blue it, which is OK with me since I plan to use the heck out of it cause I'm making up for lost time. Pics will come but family got dibs this week.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I know who did the work and besides being a straight up fella/nice guy, knows his gunsmithing.. Will have to let the OP divulge any information, however, as it's not polite to inundate someone that typically won't advertise. All I can say is he's a pleasure to do business with in any capacity.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
MtnSpur, I couldn't be more in agreement with you. This one was a booger and the results exceeded my expectations and I think most anyone else's. I didn't put his name out there because I do not know his work load, future plans or work scheduling, etc. or for that matter if he even wants to look at another Colt DA after this one. I know I wouldn't. I'll find out and put it out there if he doesn't mind. One of the things that everyone needs to bear in mind, me as well is that sometimes parts availability and getting them can be time consuming. Good work takes time and making a silk purse out of a sow's ear takes skill, patience and time, especially after everybody else has mucked about with that ear. Enjoying this old wreck after 37 years so far has made me giddy. Dang, I'd forgotten how that feels. I like it !!!

Take care.
Bob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not mention as I should have that in the process of getting this project completed that the smith communicated very well and was never difficult to reach or answer my questions. I hear a lot of horror stories about such situations but was never an issue in this project. I wanted to clear that up as I realized that it would appear otherwise if left unsaid.
Thanks
Will workk on getting pics up. I have some before and will have others later if someone would volunteer to receive them and post. It makes sense that if I cannot work on a Colt that the computer will be a problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know who did the work and besides being a straight up fella/nice guy, knows his gunsmithing.. Will have to let the OP divulge any information, however, as it's not polite to inundate someone that typically won't advertise. All I can say is he's a pleasure to do business with in any capacity.
Guys, I have talked to the smith and he is Ok with me giving you the info. In talking to him, he stated that of all the Colts he has worked on, this was the worst. Truly it was a wreck, but he stayed the course and I am enjoying the fruits of his efforts. Deal in complete confidence. As an aside, it truly is a small world as we found out he has relatives 25 miles from where I work. Small world indeed.

Michael Warman
Olofson Shooting Range & Training Center
P. O. Box 112
11652 NW Nissen Dr.
Polk City, Ia 50226
Phone 3 515-238-6977 (Refrain from callingl him on Mon or Tues as that is his weekend and family time)
Fax 515-795-2067
Thanks Michael for a great job. !!!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Swamprat, we are leaningg towards that. I used that on a HS Military HD and it was great. Couldn't tell it from the original. It is different than other cold blues and it seems more difficult to work with than most.
See my post on Oxpho Blue in the Gunsmithing section

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Have you thought about rust bluing? It's something you can do at home and it is more durable than any cold blue. It's the method they used on early Lugers and a lot of other fine firearms before they started the hot salt bluing due to cost. Brownells' sells a very good rust bluing solution and the results are great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BearCat6, I will look into that. I really didn't want to take the gun apart and that was the reason I was thinking of the cold blue. But heck at this point, it is still a question mark as to what I do.

Will get pics up next week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.