Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was in my gun vault a minute ago and looking over a 3rd Gen .45 purchased a few months back. With the light just right I could see a 7 stamped on the frame at right rear. I've never seen that before. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Got a pic of it. Maybe inspection stamp???..might have one like it on mine...............................................M*

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Just my observations: That is not a normal place for a Colt stamping, Perhaps it is damage or a mar from being bumped around during manufacturing and it was not caught. Or, jplower has stated that Colt "seconds" will have a "Z" stamped on the side of the triggerguard bow; perhaps this is the "Z" indicating a factory "second" that was stamped near the fault....I say that because it looks like the aft side of the frame is not a 90 degree and is slanted forward as it approaches the triggerguard. Pretty easy to see it is not parallel to the grip as it should be. That is all I can come up with.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May be. By the way, the grips don't fit 100% because they are from another Colt. This one came with those awful nearly raw wood ones.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May be. By the way, the grips don't fit 100% because they are from another Colt. This one came with those awful nearly raw wood ones.

That 7 is struck deeper at the top so maybe the bottom horizontal leg of the z didn't make an impression.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
photos taken at the right angle can play tricks on your eyes but that picture makes the frame look like it's not square with the top of the back strap and the triggerguard. I'm always amazed how thin they make the lugs on the back straps now a days compared to the prewar's and the 2nd gens.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's why I have bought another back strap to have fitted in the hope it will improve this one a bit. We'll see. I wouldn't be so eager to spent time or money on it except it hits to its sights at about 15 yards.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Mike,...Checked all mine no 7 on any...I think hwjhfs has the right answer on this. makes since anyway...........................................M*

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
The SAA certainly looks as mentioned to be a 'Z'. By the shadow line of the grip it appears the lower section of the frame was reduced slightly, most likely in an attempt to minimize the Z, but it made it a 7.
Or maybe not, maybe it was just the way the punch was held when struck.
Mechanically I'm sure it is fine or Colt wouldn't have let it go out. Like Jim said maybe the angularity of the frame was wrong and hence condemned.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I would think that running the buffer across that sharp back edge of the frame would have made it a reject frame prior to case colors. If that issue wasn't caught prior to colors then the frame would have been set to be finished. At that point a round frame like that should have been recycled/destroyed. Obviously it was made into a finished gun and sold instead.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wyatt: That Z in your photo has the same appearance as the 7 in mine except for the bottom leg. And they are in about the same spot so I'm going to go on the assumption its a Z. Oh well, it will be fun to play around with this one and see how things end up. I need something to keep me interested in these long Montana winters besides just casting bullets.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More interesting information on this Colt. The back of frame under left back strap screw is the number W4679. On the left side of the back strap a five digit number is totally Xed out. On back strap and trigger guard only the last three digits of the serial number 080 are stamped instead of the entire serial number. The three numbers on the front of the cylinder looks to have been 888 but the first and last 8 are overstruck with 0s to make it 080. I'll try to get some photos to post. Not sure my phone will handle it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just poking fun but maybe it's a lunch box Colt. Employee took it home part at a time and assembled it out of seconds.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts