Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1902 Vintage.
This piece was sent for me to evaluate and ensure it’s timing.
Great on both accounts minus the homemade longer grips. But the spacer on the grips is genuine Ivory!
Someone cared for this piece for sure.
Great CC and blue remaining.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
1902 Vintage.
This piece was sent for me to evaluate and ensure it’s timing.
Great on both accounts minus the homemade longer grips. But the spacer on the grips is genuine Ivory!
Someone cared for this piece for sure.
Great CC and blue remaining.
Ever had that feeling "Something is wrong with this picture"? Is that a pre-1890 gun that has been factory refinished? Check the right side of the trigger guard for star or &. I also see some very late issue rework parts on this gun.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
That’s my thought too V1SW.
Its a 130466 s/n.
So it is not a real late production, like in the 166xxx range. The hammer has stamped knurling, which was only used on reworked guns. There is no rampant Colt, and I am sure you noticed that oversight. Usually Colt would apply whatever rampant Colt was being used at the time of rework, but here it looks like they forgot. Your bore size may be 0.357" on that barrel, not 0.375".

An interesting gun, in any case.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
So it is not a real late production, like in the 166xxx range. The hammer has stamped knurling, which was only used on reworked guns. There is no rampant Colt, and I am sure you noticed that oversight. Usually Colt would apply whatever rampant Colt was being used at the time of rework, but here it looks like they forgot. Your bore size may be 0.357" on that barrel, not 0.375".

I see the rampant Colt just forward of that first pin - it's somewhat weak for sure. It seems to have been set up/reworked/who knows for a purpose, which to me, makes it more interesting than a "show pony".

I agree fully - very interesting gun and I bet it would be a blast to shoot!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I see the rampant Colt just forward of that first pin - it's somewhat weak for sure. It seems to have been set up/reworked/who knows for a purpose, which to me, makes it more interesting than a "show pony".

I agree fully - very interesting gun and I bet it would be a blast to shoot!

Now that you mention it, I do see a ghost image of a partial rampant Colt, right where it should be. Again, I guess that Colt forgot to restamp this marking when it mostly polished off. Sharp Eye!

·
Registered
97 Posts
May be if it was a lightning, but actually it is a Thunderer.
By the way, I am wondering if the .41 cal also have smaller bore size on later produced 1877s ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts