Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told today by a gunsmith that they didn't have a bushing device for screwing on and off the DS barrel. He said instead that they could take it back a notch and screw the barrel in farther to line up the site and then shave down the cylinder front and force cone to makeup for forcing the barrel in more.

They said making a bushing device for screwing and unscrewing is too much trouble for the problem.

I may not know enough about what I am talking about or what I heard for y'all to understand entirely. But that's how I understood it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am with A1A on this one. dfariswheel is an ocean of knowledge. Helped me A LOT with my Trooper problems
(Problems gone)

What are you trying to do to your Colt?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
What it sounds like is, you gunsmith doesn't have the correct inserts for the frame wrench that's used to support and protect the frame while removing or installing the barrel.

Without the frame wrench how in the HELL is he going to "Take it back a notch".

To turn a barrel in one full turn requires removing the barrel, and turning the shoulder back one full thread, then refitting the barrel.

Once you've set the barrel back, you trim the rear of the barrel to set the barrel/cylinder gap, then you have to re-cut and lap the forcing cone.

You NEVER, EVER "Shave down the cylinder". There is NO EXCUSE or reason for doing anything to a revolver cylinder face except in extremely rare circumstances the average gunsmith never sees.

I suggest either the Colt factory, or Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters.

If your gunsmith actually said this, and MEANT this, I'd be looking for a new gunsmith.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems to me that if he can take the barrel off to begin with, then why cut down a thread? Isn't there a way to tighten it without doing all the cutting back and all.

I think when he was talking about shaving at the cylinder, he was talkinga bout the OP (see other thread about OP cylinder) to keep it from binding against the force cone. I am going to have them call me before they do any removing metal. As far as the OP goes, I don't see why you can't take the cylinder apart and see if the rod or spring inside is bent and causing it to bind.

Thinking about sending both of them to cylinder and slide if I am not confident they know what they are doing. THey are a fairly reputable gun service and they are local which is why I chose them.

I just ordered Vol 1 of Colt DA revolvers by Jerry Kauhousen from Brownells. Hopefully I will have a better feel of what the heck I am talking about with both y'all and them. I sure don't want to hurt any of these guns. Esepcially the OP.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Being a reputable gun service, even a nationally know one, doesn't prevent them from not knowing about Colt revolvers.

The problem is, gunsmiths are human and they figure that they know all about S&W and Ruger, so "how different can a Colt be, it's still a revolver, and I can figure it out".

It isn't, and they can't.

I once sent (by request) a customers Colt .38 Trooper to a gunsmithing company that always makes the American Handgunner Top 100 pistolsmiths list.

They are internationally known, AND were a Colt factory and almost every other factory repair station.
They still botched up the Trooper so bad, they had to send it to Colt to get it straightened out.

The owner, almost in tears told me that at one point he had "two men working on it".

Again, Colt's really ARE different.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya know,
The whole reason I went by the other day was to check on on the status of the gun.

The smith came out of the back with my OP and told me that they were exploring their options "having a meeting of the minds" among their gunsmiths. They are polite and I'm sure ordinarily know their business so I won't say anything ugly about them personally or their ordinary work, but that basically says, "we don't know so we are going to find our best guess as the solution." I had to tell him about the leaning of the cylinder into the cone. He said he would make a note of that and pass that along to the rest of them while they continued to look at it. If I spotted it, why couldn't they? They were suggesting that the only option was filing on the force cone. I was suggesting taking the cylinder apart and seeing of the bar inside that it hangs on was bent or something or could be replaced. They said they'd see if they could do that. If I thought of that, why didn't they. I always get very nervous when the expert is guessing.
When I originally talked to them over the phone to bring it over there asking if they worked on Colts, they told me "yes, sure. We have a smith who works where who also does the Single action...er whateverthey're called competitions." I ask if the work on DA colts and do things like fixing binding problems and screwing cylinders on and off if need be. Said, "yes we do stuff like that all the time."

Do you know anything about this man? http://www.grantcunningham.com/colt-revolver-gunsmithing.html
I spotted him on TFL.com at some point and visited his website. Seems to know his business about colts...but who am I to say that?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i find it odd that pittsburg missed the problem originally?? they are highly regarded on this forum, did they CHARGE you to clean/inspect the gun?? my suggestion is to retrive the gun untill you get the book and carefully read it cover to cover. the book is very detailed and has a troubleshooting section along with the checks for problems.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
dux, I don't think the smith shop in question is PHH. It is disappointing, however, as Doug had previously posted, that PHH had worn out it's frame wrench inserts for DSs and was unable or just wasn't going to replace them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
you are right A1A, it was the other thread on the o/p.he says phh missed the problem on that gun.apparently both revolvers have been sent there.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes both revolvers were sent there. Pittsburg wasn't able to do anyting with the DS barrel. As for the OP binding, they were suggesting over the phone that "you could just file at the forcing cone where it shows wear against the cylinder and that will solve your problem." I kinda got the impression by those two instances that they are moving away from servicing Colt DAs. They can still do timing and such, but they aren't going out of the way to make full repairs the way I see it.

Pittsburg is not the company in question as to where my OP currently is. It's a local Houston company.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
yes both revolvers were sent there. Pittsburg wasn't able to do anyting with the DS barrel. As for the OP binding, they were suggesting over the phone that "you could just file at the forcing cone where it shows wear against the cylinder and that will solve your problem."

[/ QUOTE ]i am afraid that is unacceptable suggestion from a reputatable firm. i assume you declined them to repair the o/p??

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes. They said I could go ahead and send it in, but if filing at it and guessing over the phone was their first though, I'd rather not chance it. I know they have a good reputation, but I just wasn't comfortable with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts