Colt Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
As a decidedly blue collar individual, I have the great good fortune have having both. Different methods of achieving uniqueness and accuracy. An advantage of the Wesson is that, with the exception of the hand, all parts are interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I had a Model 15-2 Monson gun with the 6" heavy vented barrel and an extra 8" standard barrel. I bought it in 1978. It was a fantastic gun. Like a fool I sold it when the Model 715 stainless version came out. The 715 was the worst gun I ever owned. The indexing pin on the frame for the barrel shroud was out of spec so the shroud was clocked. I sent it back to Dan Wesson. They had it for about 2 months and actually manufactured a new frame with the same serial number.

Upon test firing after it was returned I found that .357 cases had to be pounded out of the cylinder and even .38+P level cases stuck in several chambers. The chambers were rough as a cob and full of tool marks. How it ever got past their inspection escapes me. I traded it off towards a Ruger No. 1 at a considerable loss and was glad to get rid of it.

Until I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 586, I never owned another gun that just seemed to magically hit anything that you pointed it at with very little effort like that DW Model 15-2 did. I wish I had another one.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Here's a DW & its cousin, a Hi-Standard made by Dan Wesson. Both 357. The DW went back to the factory for repairs last year and came back a nice shooting revolver. Barrels interchange on att least one ofthe Hi-Standards, I haven't checked all of them to be sure they fit 100%

DW & HiStd.jpg

rayb

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Have the hammers been bobbed on those? The High-Standard has the early DW "Porkchop" barrel, which will not interchange with later versions. Those barrels are somewhat more affordable if one is looking for a different length. Eric Kovachic at EWK Arms makes an adapter which allows later DW barrels to be fitted to the early porkchop frames. Both should be excellent shooters.

·
Banned
110 Posts
That's all base on history and conductibility, Yes price is different but when it comes to performance i believe DW does match up to colt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I own two Dan Wesson revolvers that were made about a year apart, yet are different models. The 15-1 was made only in 1974, any my very early 15-2 in 1975. The 15-1 was the last "pork chop" shroud, but the internals were basically what the 15-2 would become. Great shooters.
IMG_1333.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I may have posted this before, sorry.
I’ve got a 22VH “Pistol Pac” from ‘79. IMHO, the cool factor is off the chart. As noted, it is a quality firearm and it shoots quite well, but this is one of my guns which I look at more than it gets shot. The main reason I don’t shoot it much is the rear sight is a bit loose. I understand this is a common issue or at least not unheard of.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
I may have posted this before, sorry.
I’ve got a 22VH “Pistol Pac” from ‘79. IMHO, the cool factor is off the chart. As noted, it is a quality firearm and it shoots quite well, but this is one of my guns which I look at more than it gets shot. The main reason I don’t shoot it much is the rear sight is a bit loose. I understand this is a common issue or at least not unheard of.
Loose on the pin or in the slot, or both? It is easy enough to drive the pin out and peen the bottom of the sight body until it is snug. Or is the sight blade loose on the body of the sight?

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Excellent! But... if Ruger would only excise that Blackhawk recoil shield. Still, I pretty much drool over that 5" HB GP100 in .44 Spl. Ah, but without dreams, life would lose flavor.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts