Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that paired rifles and revolvers using common ammunition were often seen in the Old West. That tradition carried forward into the 20th century as well. If I had been around in, say, 1930 I might well have carried this twosome. The rifle is an 1892 Winchester and the revolver is, obviously, a Colt New Service, both in 44/40. Actually, I do carry this pair fairly often.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I bought this S&W 544 Texas Wagon trails commemorative cheap used/new many years ago. They are in 44-40. I have never shot it as I have other 44 specials and a 5" model 29 almost like it. Maybe I am missing something? I bought it as it was a hell of a deal at the time but I never got around to trying to sell it either. Cant be much difference from my 44 specials and 44 mag.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I bought this S&W 544 Texas Wagon trails commemorative cheap used/new many years ago. They are in 44-40. I have never shot it as I have other 44 specials and a 5" model 29 almost like it. Maybe I am missing something? I bought it as it was a hell of a deal at the time but I never got around to trying to sell it either. Cant be much difference from my 44 specials and 44 mag.
I have one of those. I bought it because it was a 44-40 and shoot it all the time. Typical S&W action and is very accurate with my handloads.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I also own a model 27-2 and a 29-2 with 5" barrels. I believe there were about 500 model 29 - 2`s" made with the 5" barrels. Also believe some were converted with extra barrels the company had in stock. I only seen one more 5" 29-2 at a gun show and that one was off eight numbers from mine. Mine looks correct in every way. Lettering centered, muzzle perfect etc. I bought it used in the 1970`s. Got the letter and it had shipped as a 6 1/2"! It shipped to Stoegers. I believe likely Stoegers ordered factory 5" barrels and installed them on mine and the other one I seen or the factory letter is a mistake. My three N frames all look alike except the model 27-2 has the pencil barrel and the 29 and 544 have the thicker straight barrels. The cylinders are different lengths too. Saves on holsters. I love the 5" shorter ejector housing too. I have a box of ammo for the 44-40 544. One of these days I should shoot it against the 29 and a 24-4 I have plus I also own a triplelock and a 1950 Target in .44 specials. The bottom picture is all .44 specials plus I also have a flat top Lipsey special Ruger in .44 special.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts