Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: \"A Tale of Two Snubbies\"

Bart Noir,

I had a similar problem with a Colt Magnum Carry, which I bought NIB in `98. No matter what I did, I could not get it to group properly. My Smith 649 would give me one jagged hole at 15 yards but the Colt shot a 3" pattern at the same distance. My reloads and factory ammo. gave the same results. I finally put it away and planned to use it for trading material.

Some members on this forum and others suggested that I contact Colt. I wrote to Colt, explained the problem, and got a response that said to return it and it would be fixed. Last Spring, I sent it to Colt and got it back in 30 days. It was like a new gun and now it shoots almost as well as the Smith. If I practiced more with it, I may get it to shoot better than the Smith.

I'd suggest contacting Colt,

John

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

You could try different ammo too. All barrels are more like individuals then machined parts. Give some 158 grainers a try.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts

Back in the mid-80's Colt just could NOT seem to index Detective Special barrels correctly.

For some reason, a good percentage of them grouped to the left.
The problem was, the barrels weren't indexed properly, and the front sights were off to the right.

The "fix" was to re-fit the barrel, insuring the sight was at top-dead-center, and this centered the groups.

It takes a surprisingly small amount of rotation to bring the groups back to the center.

Interestingly, Colt's fix for shooting too high (front sight too low) was to put the front sight into a hydraulic press device and squeeze the sides of the sight.
This caused the sight to stretch higher.
These can be recognized by indents on each side of the shrouded barrel gun's ramp sight.

If your Colt isn't shooting tight groups, try another brand/type of ammo. Not all guns "like" all ammo. Often just a change in ammo will produce nice close groups.

If not, a trip home to the factory will fix that problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
\"A Tale of Two Snubbies\"

It was the best of times; it was the not-so-good of times.

The old, worn Colt Detective Special went to the pistol range with an essentially unused Dick Special. The veteran had all the honorable marks, the worn blueing, the slight dings from being dropped, possibly in a scuffle with true miscreants. The younger gun looked like it had never left the box. It was pristine and benefited from a heavier barrel.

Same shooter, same ammo (.38 Special with full metal jackets), same range, same targets, same day, well, you get the picture.

The old veteran said "watch this kid, do like I do", and put all its shots into a decent group, at point-of-aim at 15 yards. The new gun muttered about old farts and proceeded to print shotgun style groups, at least 6 inches to the left of point-of-aim.

What do I do? The pretty one won't shoot worth a hoot. Could Colt have changed the rifling between the two versions? Should I try bullets with exposed lead? The front sight is so short that turning the barrel just a bit probably won't help. Can this be a timing problem?

Bart Noir

·
Registered
55 Posts

Thanks gents, I'll do some more shooting. And I am impressed by those group sizes. Where they made using a benchrest of some sort? I'd be stunned to fire a group from any snubbie, that had touching holes, from a standing position.

And dfariswheel, the info on squeezing the sight is interesting. I think that would be a problem for any pistol, like my newer DS, that has a red insert. I can just see that popping off.

Bart Noir

1 - 5 of 5 Posts