Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I embarked on a tough and expensive quest. I had purchased two 3rd Generation .44-40s with 4 3/4 inch barrels. One nickeled and one B/CH. But to make my idea even tougher a previous owned had had the B/CH one post-factory engraved. (Meaning the CH frame had not been engraved.). My brilliant idea was to find nickeled and blued .44 Special cylinders for each. They weren't cheap but were located with the help of a couple of fellows on here. Then I contacted the engraved .44's former owned to find out who had done the work. It was a fellow I knew here in Montana. So he engraved the blued cylinder including the gold ring around it. And thusly my quest was fulfilled: two .44-40 SAAs with matching .44 Special cylinders.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
A few years back I embarked on a tough and expensive quest. I had purchased two 3rd Generation .44-40s with 4 3/4 inch barrels. One nickeled and one B/CH. But to make my idea even tougher a previous owned had had the B/CH one post-factory engraved. (Meaning the CH frame had not been engraved.). My brilliant idea was to find nickeled and blued .44 Special cylinders for each. They weren't cheap but were located with the help of a couple of fellows on here. Then I contacted the engraved .44's former owned to find out who had done the work. It was a fellow I knew here in Montana. So he engraved the blued cylinder including the gold ring around it. And thusly my quest was fulfilled: two .44-40 SAAs with matching .44 Special cylinders. View attachment 717022
Casehardened frames can be engraved, but require heating to 1100 F and allowing to cool slowly. If done in a vacuum heat treat furnace, the heat scale can be avoided.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
That blue really is gorgeous but I also like the nickel plated gun. How are the barrels marked, Frontier Six Shooter or Colt Single Action Army?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly they are marked with Colt Single Action Army. I much prefer the etched panel but alas didn't even know they existed at the time I bought those two. I do have an etched panel 7 1/2 incher now but Lever Action Bill's fancy grips on it.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
My FSS are only the plain ones but have the markings I like on the barrel. The nickel plated has the roll stamp and the blue/cch has the etched marking and the two line barrel address. Both are BP frame models. 😁 The nickel plated is from 1984 and the blue/cch is from 1994.
20200315_173546(1).jpg

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
One for daytime carry and one to accompany formal evening wear.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I foresee some ivory in the future of the blued pistol

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
You are absolutly right, I will get some pictures of the actual appearance tomorrow. 😁

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No more, no less than all the other non-magnum big bores.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
MLV, this matched pair of 3rd Gen .44-40s belonged to the late Mike Devlin. I'm pretty sure they were consecutive and that he bought them from you. Frank Leaman engraved them but left the case colored frames alone. I think Frank also made the one piece grips for them. These were the prettiest of Devlin's massive collection of Leaman engraved SAAs, in my opinion. Well, except for his Hopalong Cassidy set maybe. That's my "Jack Wilson" rig. Each holster rides out towards the front like Jack Palance's in Shane.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
as announced yesterday here are actual pictures of my two Colt Frontier Six Shooters. The ivory grips I made myself but the carving was done by a professional ivory carver. The eyes in the bulls head are silver mounted real rubies. The dance hall girl I saw here in this forum and liked it so much that I had to have it on one of my guns. ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wyatt, the .44s I sold to Mike Devlin had 7 1/2” barrels.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Someone asked my next quest? It’s a 3rd Gen 7 1/2” .32-20 and it’s supposed to be on its way but seems to be slowed somewhere in the USPS system.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Those are some really pretty guns you have there!

A new 32-20 on the way?

I have always enjoyed your writing and books. My only disappointment is you seem unimpressed with the 32-20. Hopefully you snagged the bargain 7.5" from the Forum recently.

I don't really care for the extra weight of a 32-20 SAA, but I sure like how the revolvers and the lever gun shoot the cartridge! It is very flat shooting and it hits hard for such a little pill. Maybe the first true magnum. A lot to admire for accuracy and the economy of shooting a 32-20.

Curious if the 32-20 something you are looking to develop a fun and long term relation with :) I'm not the only one here to be smitten by the 32-20. Hopefully you'll find some love for it as well!

25 yard group with a 32-20.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts