Colt Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Cozmo, my very first 1st Gen SAA was a 4 3/4” .32-20. It wasn’t very accurate. Eventually I found that it had a .314 barrel groove diameter and .310 chamber mouths. Later I had an Italian clone (Hartford Model?) with 7 1/2” barrel that was a fine shooter but I don’t remember why I disposed of it at this late date. Later still I shot a friend‘s SAA 7 1/2” one and it shot superbly. So I waited to find a long barreled one at a price I was willing to pay, and I waited and waited and suddenly spotted the one on the classified ads here. Now I’m waiting anxiously for it to arrive. I’m beginning to fear for its safety It’s taking so long. I have dies, moulds, and have 100 rounds of brass on the way. So, We will soon see, I hope.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Glad you snagged that one. I was very tempted :) FWIW I've has three guns come in lately on USPS. All a week or more late. Normally I would have stressed a lot more. Good luck on yours and enjoy. It'll likely be here next week.

Hope it is a real shooter and looking forward to your write ups.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
A couple years ago someone here was selling a 2nd generation nickel .38 Special cylinder (with rampant colt) so I made him a holster in trade for it. Then Jim Cornwall bored it to .44 Special. It indexes perfect in my Centennial .44-40. The blued gun is a .44-40 but only came with a .44 Special cylinder. "Saintclair" gave me two .38 Spl. Christy cylinders and one indexes perfectly in this gun. That might be a later job for Lever Action Bill to bore out to .44-40. Forum member "Hopalong" gave me that 3rd gen .44 Special barrel someone partially ground off the caliber on. Maybe this could get restamped someday with "CFSS" or "For .44 Special & Russian". All 3 barrels have the same height front sight.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
MLV said:
Cozmo, my very first 1st Gen SAA was a 4 3/4” .32-20. It l wasn't very accurate. Eventually I found that it had a .314 barrel groove diameter and .310 chamber mouths.
I had a similar experience with a 1st Gen. 32-20. My barrel was really bad in several ways. The thing just wasn't capable of shooting as it was shipped. Likely the only reason is was still is reasonable condition. I eventually had a new barrel made for it. Fine gun now and one of my most prized Colt's.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts