Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I'd resolved not to acquire any guns too nice to shoot, a friend sends me this LNIB Trooper (.38 Special) from Arizona. The serial number pegs it as an early gun (#9007xx), and there's a notation on the test target that I can't quite read: "Rec'd w Trooper bbl"?? Anyone care to decipher it for me? Also, I'm curious about the muzzle treatment. I haven't seen this before (but then what I know about Colts could fit on the rim of a .22 short). The Three-Fifty-Seven I have from the same time has a more "normal" blued crown.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
Your Trooper dates to 1954.
The number range that year started at 903251
and went to 908800.

Since your pictures didn't work, I assume you're talking about an un-blued, bright muzzle instead of a blued muzzle.

The early 1950's Colt's featured a blue finish with a bright muzzle, and the "edges" of the frame mat bead blasted, with the flats polished.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
The early 1950's Colt's featured a blue finish with a bright muzzle, and the "edges" of the frame mat bead blasted, with the flats polished.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's it, exactly. Thanks for all the information. (I don't know why the pictures don't work. They work for me...
)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Michael nice looking gun. I have chance to buy one, but the previous owner carved out the right stock panel and glued in sherif's star, really and amatuer job, so I would have to find new stocks for it. Rest of the gun is about 96%, I don't think it was carried much, and the guy wants $395, is that in the ballpark for what you paid?

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

...the guy wants $395, is that in the ballpark for what you paid?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are sweet guns. Smooooth action, as nice as any Python I've handled. I paid a little over $500 for this one, which truly is 99%+ with box and target, so I'd say $395 for a 96% gun isn't bad. A word of caution, though: In my experience, those short grips can be scarce, more so than the full-checkered targets.

[This message has been edited by Michael Stern (edited 07-01-2004).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Michael - Geez! I've had the 357 in my possession about 24 hours & then you post picts of this gem.

Another beautiful Colt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shortcut:
... I've had the 357 in my possession about 24 hours & then you post picts of this gem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I spent a whole day admiring the open space in my safe, when this one came along and I couldn't say no. (I guess gun collectors, like nature, abhor a vacuum.) I do confess to the occasional twinge of seller's remorse over that three-fifty-seven of yours ... as well as over nearly every other gun I've ever let go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts