Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get on the forum about every day and am amazed at the knowledge that you guys have. So, if you could give a rookie like me one bit of advice concerning collecting Colt SAAs what would it be? Perhaps something you’ve learned the hard way? Or maybe a big mistake you once made? Or something you did that paid off really well? What advice do you have?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Reading here will carry you a long way. Most of the guys posting here have a great deal of knowledge. A lot of the guys on here are friends from long ago or short time ago and “ friends don’t let friends go wrong about the Colt SAA“. Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get on the forum about every day and am amazed at the knowledge that you guys have. So, if you could give a rookie like me one bit of advice concerning collecting Colt SAAs what would it be? Perhaps something you’ve learned the hard way? Or maybe a big mistake you once made? Or something you did that paid off really well? What advice do you have?
Thanks
One book you will only need is the John Kopec

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Buy lesser condition 1st Generation SAAs…they are cheaper and were actually used…if you buy a fine condition gun, one thing you can be sure of, it wasn’t Billy the Kid’s.

Hat Sleeve Sun hat Collar Garden tool

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Thanks
Briefly, decide if you’re going to buy intending to maximize a return down the road or if you’re a history guy. In other words safe queens are the best investment, the guns with history are the been there done that kind, and show it.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Thanks
Don't be bashful about buying a Colt SAA that needs mechanism work. Now the fact is, most internet sellers won't mention any problem. This includes some big-time well known major dealers. Instead they may say it "works and has 4 clicks" (which means zero). From my own experience, 95% of internet sellers won't expose the real problems, so add $250 to the price. This will easily cover the cost of hammer/trigger re-builds.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Unfortunately the best way to determine what a good value is in a SAA is buy examining a lot of them while hold them in your hand. Not sure what you mean by collecting but if you're serious your best bet is to seek out dealers who specialize in Colt SAA. Cheery's is one that come to mine. Mintish 1st gen are the most collectible but bring your banker along. Early 2nd gens are starting to be collectible, are still reasonable, and to me a good value. Buying less than perfect (esp. finish wise) is a good way to collect a lot of firearms without breaking the bank. SAA from the '70's and up are plentiful and if nothing special just shouldn't go for more than $1500 in mint condition - too many made. To me the best buy, while not collectible in the normal sense, is very late model 3rd gen. However in all likelyhood they will never be worth more in your lifetime than you paid for them.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The one thing i would stress is do not buy junk no matter how good the price seems. Stay away from refinished guns and especially poorly refinished guns. An honest 5 percent gun is much easier to resell then a nice refinished gun with rounded edges and dished screw holes. Replaced parts is a different thing altogether. Some are a stickler for all correct parts. This is good but it can stand in the way of a nice looking gun with a replaced barrel and cylinder. The price has to reflect this but it can be an enjoyable gun to own and shoot. If it looks good then someone will always want it. Grips come in a large variety of types. The original grips that came on the gun are always the best. Next would ivory that matches the gun and fits well. After that it becomes personal preference. Nearly everyone like those two but other types have fans who love them and there are those who do not like them. If the fit is poor then I am not a fan of anything. They have to fit reasonably good. The single action is not a gun you can just screw a new set of grips on and get a perfect fit. Each one was individually fitted with it's factory grips. If you do go this route in time you will find the things that you find important and they may differ from others but that is okay.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Books are important and extremely useful in confirming what features are correct for what time period, but just as important, if not more so in many situations, is to know what you're looking at, and that only comes for looking and handling as many SAAs as you can. Comparing guns side by side and maybe with a knowledgeable SAA guy, or gal next to you pointing out issues. Unfortunately this knowledge only comes with time.

Best regards,

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks
learning about the calibers is helpful also . The time period that they were introduced and how many were made.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Go on the RIA website and search through the listings for SAAs in the past auctions where you can get an idea of the sold price, but only the Premier Auctions. The pictures there are better than in any book. There's a ton of information, misinformation and hyperbole in the text but that's true of most books, also. Figure out what you want to buy; antique?, 1st Gen?, 2nd Gen? a shooter or just a gun to wax and look at?
If you're looking for a gun to collect, not shoot, then buy the best condition you can afford. Stick with .45, blue.
Once you figure out what you want ask more questions, here. If you find something definite, post pics and info, here, and watch the sharks rip it apart. But in a good way. I have found everyone on the site to be very observant about condition across the spectrum of SAAs, and well meaning. There are condition issues which forum members will point out, which you might not be aware of.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts