Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this in a box of holsters on my parts shelf. It’s marked Abercrombie and Fitch New York 1711. I have found that it was made by Heiser Denver. From what I can find it’s for a Luger. I was wondering if anyone here could help figure out about what year this could have been made.

Thanks

Ed

Found this one and it looks it

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
They were usually scribed on the back for the pistol that fit them. Looks like part of it is visible under the A&F logo. Toe looks a little wide for a Luger, but who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
... It’s marked Abercrombie and Fitch New York 1711. I have found that it was made by Heiser Denver. From what I can find it’s for a Luger. I was wondering if anyone here could help figure out about what year this could have been made.
For what it‘s worth, I can at least narrow it down a bit: I have a 1910 A&F catalog in which they‘re selling the Luger, but only a flap holster, and no holsters that are identified as Heiser or look even remotely like your design. On the tail end end, Heiser produced holsters under the Heiser-Denver label until the sale to Keyston about 1950. So the holster is from sometime in-between. If it is indeed for a Luger, It could be from either the 1920s/30s, when commercial Lugers weren‘t uncommon, or after WW II, when quite a few war bringbacks appeared. This probably doesn‘t help much ;)

PS: Per JohnnyP‘s comment, your holster does appear wider and has three rivets on the back, rather than two as the Luger version you found. They likely made the 1711 model for different pistols; this may fit one with a full slide.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,488 Posts
With that snap, I believe it is post-war. It's my understanding that the pre-war holsters had the brass snap. If John Witty happens along I am sure he can shed some info on it. He and Red are our two resident holster experts.

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
A few years back a friend found a Heiser holster for the LP08 (Artillery) Luger in Tulsa. It had a common model number, but was scribed for the Artillery.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I believe your holster was made by Colorado Saddlery, that’s a CS model number. I also believe it was made for a second series Woodsman, it looks like the groove left by the thumb rest on a Woodsman grip is present. Possibly the Match Target with the 4 1/2” barrel. I’d check a Government Model as well. Colorado Saddlery was started in 1946 or so by 4 former Heiser employees, they as well as Heiser made holsters for Abercrombie and Fitch. Cam is correct as usual, that is a post WW II snap.
regards,
turnerriver

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe your holster was made by Colorado Saddlery, that’s a CS model number. I also believe it was made for a second series Woodsman, it looks like the groove left by the thumb rest on a Woodsman grip is present. Possibly the Match Target with the 4 1/2” barrel. I’d check a Government Model as well. Colorado Saddlery was started in 1946 or so by 4 former Heiser employees, they as well as Heiser made holsters for Abercrombie and Fitch. Cam is correct as usual, that is a post WW II snap.
regards,
turnerriver
I stand corrected. I need glasses because it does say Colorado Saddlery Denver! Im asking friends if they have a woodsman I can borrow. Any value to these old holsters?

Thanks

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts