Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do ya'll clean your Single Actions after a range session? I clean as soon as possible after getting in from the range.

My technique is, after clearing the gun again, remove the cylinder from the frame. I swab the bore with a loose patch soaked in Hoppe's No. 9, then do the same with the chambers. Using a saturated patch, I wipe down the exterior and especially the inside of the cylinder window of the frame. I then dry off the exterior, wiping away powder/lead residue. Then return to the bore, making a few passes with a stainless steel bore brush wet with No. 9. Then pass clean patches through the bore and chambers. When everything is clean and dry, I oil the bore and chambers with my 50/50 mix of motor oil and machine oil, then heavily oil the exterior surfaces. I replace the cylinder and wipe down the gun with a blue paper shop towel that I get from AutoZone. If the gun has been dampened or dunked, I will spray with WD-40 to dry out the innards.

I know some of you will probably choke on my method, but this has been my routine for over fifty years. See no reason to change now.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Whatever works for you. What I do, unless I am shooting pyrodex or black powder loads, is...not much except wipe the outside with an oily rag! I used to clean about like you do, but maybe 4 or 5 years ago I switched over to a minimal cleaning mode. When I take an SAA out now i put maybe 30 to 50 rounds thru it per session. I wont bother to clean anything until maybe 4 or 5 sessions which i guess is 200 or so rounds. Then I run a solvent patch thru the bore and thru the cylinder (I rarely use a brush now), then a couple of dry patches. Then oil/grease the ratchets and the cylinder pin, put her all together and I am set for another 5 range sessions.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Bob, I clean mine pretty much the way you do except the 50/50 mix of motor oil and machine oil. I use Hoppe's solvent and even the blue shop towels from Auto Zone. For the bore, etc. I use what ever protectant I have at the time. For now it's Hoppe's gun oil.

A while that I started using a cleaner/lubricant on my semi auto's that is very popular. For cleaning, it's not near as good as Hoppe's #9. In fact, I was very disappointed with it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I CLEAN GUNS when they quit working. Sometimes after as many as 5000 rounds.
DO you guys change the oil in your truck everytime after you drive ??

AFTER a day on the range they all get wiped down with WD40 and put back in the gunbox. The gunbox holds all of the eight guns I am currently shooting on a regular basis. Somtimes i take four more in another case, as I will be doing come friday for the next month everyday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm with Wil Terry. Guns are made to be shot not cleaned. I also don't tear my truck apart every time I make a run to the grocery store. Terry, my friend, I am forever amazed at how much we think alike. Not a little scared, either......

·
Registered
201 Posts
Stripped with grips off, hot soapy water rinse with patches through bore and cylinder. Next would be hot water rinse and wet down with Ballistol & water mix. I've used real black powder for about 5K rounds, and still looks like new.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I've said, I like for my guns to look good. I don't care for the worn finish, gray/silver finish of so highly prized by many folks. I want my guns to be blue, clean and new looking. I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I don't change oil every time I drive it, but I try not to let it remain grungy looking.

When I go out in public, I try to look nice, drive a nice looking vehicle, and carry a nice looking Single Action. Its all a part of pride in appearance.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
173 Posts
I clean the bejesus out of any firearm I actually fire at first opportunity, any will only wipe it down if I handle it and don't fire it. This was taught from as early as I can remember by my father, and then drilled into me with a hammer-drill by my Uncle Sam. There is simply no going back now at my age. I have trouble sleeping at night if there are firearms with carbon fouling in my house, and I'll have a nightmare that I'm in formation at inspection and a Chief with warthog tusks coming out of his face is gigging me for a filthy weapon, and my father is looking down and shaking his head at me in disgust...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I always cleaned mine with good ole #9. I use brass bore brush not SS and cotton patches.. I also use a copper or is it brass brush to scrub the face of the cylinder and it removes fouling and lead build up without leaving a mark on the cylinder face. when I am finished I wipe down with a paper towel and then a silicone cloth. done. I never oil the exterior or oil the bore and chambers. never had a problem with rust cleaning this way and the gun is ready to go again.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I'm in the semi-negligent class. After shooting I swab the bores and rub off all sign of firing from the exterior. Same treatment SAAs & others. Recent years I've used auto transmission oil. As for storage, maybe hang on a wooden peg on the wall in my gun vault, maybe in an old sock or gun-rug in my safe.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I clean mine after about 10 trips to the range or if I'm carrying one a lot in the hills I'll clean it when I get done.
I no longer use WD40, I've had it gunk up too many times. I use a good solvent Hoppes makes one now that is odorless & I use that as my Wife is really botherd by regular Hoppes odor:p.
For lubricant I use Break Free CLP. This was recommended to be my Bob Munden several years ago, I tried it, liked it, & still use it.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I CLEAN GUNS when they quit working. Sometimes after as many as 5000 rounds.
DO you guys change the oil in your truck everytime after you drive ??
This is how I roll, except that I use CLP or RemOil. I used to clean every nook and cranny after every range session but no longer. I clean my guns when they need it and they don't look dirty either. Has anybody ever seen me post a picture of a dirty looking sixgun???

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Well, since I'm probably one of the few who shoot real blackpowder I clean mine after every session. However, since BP cleaning is FAR easier than smokeless, it takes little time. I toss the cylinder into warm (not hot) soapy water to soak while I use patches dipped in the same to clean the barrel and a few passes with a bronze brush. I then wipe out the frame window and use a brush on the forcing cone outer area. Dry & oil with Ballistol. I do the same for the cylinder. No rust yet. I break the gun down completely once or twice a year and have never had rust. I can do this all in about 15 mins. or less.

My guns look used as I am a gunman and not a piano player in a bordello. :rolleyes: :p ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use Ed's Red, the homemade recipe solvent/ lubricant. Google it, the stuff works very well. My SAA stays clean and looking good. Gets whatever is necessary after shooting it to keep it that way. But I am very, very careful to not go overboard...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, since I'm probably one of the few who shoot real blackpowder I clean mine after every session. However, since BP cleaning is FAR easier than smokeless, it takes little time. I toss the cylinder into warm (not hot) soapy water to soak while I use patches dipped in the same to clean the barrel and a few passes with a bronze brush. I then wipe out the frame window and use a brush on the forcing cone outer area. Dry & oil with Ballistol. I do the same for the cylinder. No rust yet. I break the gun down completely once or twice a year and have never had rust. I can do this all in about 15 mins. or less.

My guns look used as I am a gunman and not a piano player in a bordello. :rolleyes: :p ;)

+1 on real black in a SAA. Like the song says............."Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing".............

·
Registered
173 Posts
At first. A gun is not a car. So every resembelence does not work with me. After the range I do clean out my revolvers. I do use good European gunoil on a patch and clean out the bore and cilinderchambers for the loose fouling. Then I use a copperbrush with the same oil to brush the bore and cilinderchambers. (coper is much much softer than the steel chambers, so you can not damage anything.) Then I use dry patch to clean out the bore and chambers. If they are still dirty I use the brush again and repeat the handling.

I do shoot sometimes blackpowder with my SAA. That is a lot of fun. But blackpowderfouling is creeping anywhere. When I am at home I dissasemble the revolver complete and clean the bore and cilinderchambers with hot water and soap. Dry them in and out with drye patches and oil them when they are dry.

I do owm some of my revolvers more than twenty year, never seen rust.

But every one uses his own way. That is fine by me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good evening, all,For the folks shooting black powder loads, do you find that you have to clean the ejector tube/shroud ? I've loaded some BP loads and can't wait to try them out,but would rather not have to clean that channel out. Also, how often do the BP folks disassemble the innards to clean to avoid corrosion? Especially in more humid/wet climates.Thanks in advance for the help and info!Regards, Rob

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.