Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...why do many posters insert some kind of rod, pen, stick through the triggerguard when taking a pic? Is it to establish depth? IMHO, it distracts from the detail and could conceal a small defect, nick, etc. Even the professional (or just very talented) photographers seem split on this. Anyone know where this practice started, and why?

And hello to y'all from a (relatively) new member!

Thanks in advance,
MR2

·
Registered
811 Posts
No need to do that to "get the angle", just tilt the the platform or 'base' forward, slightly, and raise the trip pod higher up and then 'zoom' back in with the 'Macro' set.

Like this..............................

Far too many try and "pose" their pictures, I want to "see" the subject matter. In fact the picture above is 'distracting' because of the paperwork behind it. I just happened to lay it down, under the gun.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Dant that still is a flat picture. Both the gun and the background is in the same perspective. The angle people are looking for is to have the gun at an angle to the background. A lot of times it gets rid of glare from lights. Most important though it's the creativity of the photograher.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I know what you are saying as to "flat" but by using a soft, flexible clothe, the guns are setting up (standing) and the clothe "hides" the supports and will always be close in proximity to the subject, NOT "floating". Here's another that's standing against the clothe and support.....

I can put the background (clothe) up to a 90 degree angle. hanging from the backdrop.

Or even using 'steps' and I'll put a pen in the second gun down just to show , it is indeed angled............

Anyway, this is how I was taught to take the pictures , for the best 'effect' and it works for me.

Otherwise you got to hold by the grips and just "zoom" in like this.................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts