Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just seeking info regarding an ACE conversion unit in old brown colt partitioned box for this or similar item. The slide has surface wear and is marked service model ACE. the metal finish is a bit on rough side and looks like slide I have on another ACE pistol I have. I think the finish is thin and smoothly worn parkerizing. It has very tight seemingly fitted bushing. Is this likely a military conversion in commercial box or did colt package a civilian ACE kit in this way? It has 2-tone mag. Looks well used but taken care of. Any info?
thanks

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
This sounds like a Pre-War unit. If the possibly Parkerized slide is indeed marked Service Model Ace Conversion Unit, it is Pre-War or WWII vintage. Does it have a "U" prefix serial number on top of the slide just ahead of the rear sight?

I am not aware of any factory-Parkerized Conversion Units. I know of one of the serial-numbered units that was shipped to the military during WWII, and it is blue.

Are you sure it is not a Service Ace top half that has been separated from its frame? If it is a Service Ace top unit, it will NOT be marked "Covnersion Unit" on the right side below the other lettering. There seem to be a lot of these top halfs being passed off as Conversion Units. One with a bogus serial number stamped the wrong way (!) on the top of the slide and placed in a Post-War black box recently sold for big bucks on GB, even after I pointed out to the seller that it was not a conversion unit and he posted that on the listing!

I suspect this unit was Parkerized after leaving Colt, but it may be original. Unless it is serial-numbered, there will be no way to verify.

There are two brown Conversion Unit boxes, both with hinged lids. The first is darker brown and the small size of the earlier black boxes. This is the immediate Post-War/Post black box style of box that probably ended in 1951 or so, and is the least common conversion unit box (not counting the serial-numbered boxes). That was followed by a larger medium brown box with a leatherette finish. Neither box would be correct for a Pre-War style unit.

How about pictures so we can learn more about this unusual unit?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for this reply-In reading your info. I see that what I have is just the top from a service Mdl ACE and not a bona fide conversion unit. The box is brown/hinged and pretty tight fitting with hard to see horse on top of box as only mark.
the device is very tightly fit and smooth with considerable wear to the finish which looks to be worn parkerizing to me-No serial #s on the unit.
I am not able to post a picture here but will try to send you one and you can post it if you know how which i think most people know how to do other than me
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
I suspected as much. You probably have the top half of a Parkerized Service Ace. I suggest you remove the firing pin stop and see if there is a serial number stamped there. Depending on when the original "donor" Service Ace was made, there could be a number there. That would give you an estiamte of the approximate date of manufacture.

Since you do not have a conversion unit, you may want to sell the box, which has value.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I will try to do that - I suppose somewhere though there is a lower frame in proper # range. I thought the thing would be good property anyway to the right collector.
What year of production range is that box?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Presumably there may be the EXACT frame somewhere that matches this top unit. Of course, sometimes the reason for an orphan slide is that the gun was stolen and the frame is destroyed to do away with the evidence.

What box? I mentioned the two brown conversion unit boxes and their relative ages in my earlier reply. Are you referring to another box?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just found this thread and have two Pre-War type Colt Service Model Ace slides for which I would solicit opinions One was purchased about 20 years ago and the other within the last few months. Both are Parkerized with visible temper lines. They are pictured exactly as purchased and it looks like one has an incorrect spring. Neither has a serial number under the firing pin stop. Neither had a box but both were provided with the early post-war type magazine. Markings are essentially identical except the Service Model Ace rollmark is about 1mm lower on one. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
It appears from the second picture that each slide has a barrel and recoil spring assembly. Is the ejector present on either? If so, is it the machined style or stamped style? If the barrels and recoils spring assemblies are present, and the ejectors are present, then are not these functionally complete?

I wonder if they are factory replacement slides?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you for your thoughts.
When taking the photos I removed barrel, spring assembly and ejector on one of the slides but both came complete. Both have machined ejectors although the ejector is broken on the unit with the improper spring. I have a military accepted SM Ace and I will retrieve it and compare to the slides but as I recall they are essentially the same except for the SN under the firing pin stop on the function pistol.
I will post pictures of the small parts soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts