Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a pre-war Ace that is said to be 1st year of production in the 3xxx serial number range. All original w/ Micro sight in Excellent+ condition with minor muzzle wear. Is this considered a "Commercial Ace"? I did a search and found that the Service Models started in 1937.

I have always been interested in these but for just as long have been confused by all the models.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did a search on the auction sites but there aren't many out there to get a price range.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
All original w/ Micro sight

[/ QUOTE ]

The Micro sight means it isn't all original, unfortunately. Do you have any pictures or a serial number? If it is a Service Model Ace it will say so on the gun and the serial number will be "SMXXXX." The vast majority of the Ace pistols will be commercial guns, although there were some purchased by various Govt. agencies. Most of the pre-war SM Aces will be military.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the Blue book and it lists Commercial Aces as having adjustable sights. Is this different than Micro sights? There is no "SM" before the serial number, just numerals.

I saw a model from 1936 on a website that is not in as nice shape but has a different sight for $2,500!!!! The one I am looking at is $850.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Micro sights didn't exist until after WWII. Colt Ace .22's had sights unique to them, designed by Colt. The SM Ace's used Steven's rear sights, which was a different Colt design. Your gun sound like an Ace that has aftermarket sights on it. An all original Ace in good condition can easily run over $2,000. HTH.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info kwill.

After I re-read the description, it stated that the rear and front sights have been replaced. I must have glossed right over that.

Everything else is original supposedly. I think it is a pretty good deal even with replacement sights.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
If the price is really cheap, I suppose it might be a good buy, but I suspect it is not REALLY cheap. If you are a collector, you will never be happy with an incorrect gun. If you are a shooter, you may be happier with a Conversion Unit on a centerfire frame, or a well-used Post-War Service Ace to keep the cost down. The floating chamber increases felt recoil to make shooting have a little more feel to it.

An Ace without the floating chamber feels much different from a Service Ace with the floating chamber. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just this week I made a bid on an internet auction for a 1st year production pre-war Ace. I bid $800 thinking that I would be WAY outbid. It turns out that the winning bidder paid "only" $900. The condition was 85% and it looked pretty damn nice. It was all original including the correct magazine. Also, the serial number was 749 w/ no letters. I wish that I had been bidding live, I might have gotten it for a bit more, who knows?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi AZ,

Something ain't right here. That gun in that condition (85%) with that serial number should go for $2500 - 3000. NO ONE in his right mind would sell a 3 digit 85% ACE for $900.

You might be lucky you didn't get that one.

Chug

·
Registered
31 Posts
It sounds too good to be true, huh? It was from a very reputable auction house in San Fran. It wasn't just some internet auction. I pre-bid the $800 thinking that there would be no hope of getting it and I was pretty surprised to see it go for only $900. I have a picture of it on my desktop, I just don't know how to post it here.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds too good to be true, huh? It was from a very reputable auction house in San Fran. It wasn't just some internet auction. I pre-bid the $800 thinking that there would be no hope of getting it and I was pretty surprised to see it go for only $900. I have a picture of it on my desktop, I just don't know how to post it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

azcowboy asked me to post this photo for him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts