Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a pistol to the pile today. It is a Ruger Mk 4 22/45 Lite. It has adjustable sights and a barrel threaded for a silencer. Weight is 25 oz. with an aluminum receiver. Over the years, I have had several of the Ruger 22 pistols and decided that it was time to add a new one. Take down is simple compared to the Mk 1-3 guns. All that is required is to make sure the pistol us unloaded, cock the pistol, put on the safety and press the take down button at the rear of the receiver. The barrel assembly tilts up (like opening a dbl bbl shotgun) and lifts off the receiver. The bolt simply pulls out the rear of the barrel assembly. Putting it back together is just as simple. Can't wait to take it to the range and put it thru it's paces! Some pics.

IMG_1532 (2) - Copy.jpg IMG_1534 (2) - Copy.jpg IMG_1535 (2) - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At last, I have a pistol that uses affordable magazines! The Colt Woodsman mags have gotten out of sight pricewise!

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
At last, I have a pistol that uses affordable magazines! The Colt Woodsman mags have gotten out of sight pricewise!
If you want Woodsman magazines for shooting rather than collecting, pick up some stainless magazines for the Colt .22...they fit the same. My Colt .22 and Huntsman have no issues with either. The stainless magazines are far less pricey and quite available both used and new.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the Ruger out to the range today. Seemed to work pretty good with the exception of some early failure to feed problems. As the shooting went on, they seemed to be less and less. Decided that I didn't like the magazines (slide too gritty going up and down) so when I got home, I took them apart and went over everything with some 600 grip paper to get rid of moulding marks on the followers and to polish up the slot on the side of the magazine where the follower button rides. Works much nicer now, more like a Colt Woodsman mag! Also, I had to do some major adjusting to the sights, both windage and elevation. However, that is all set now and should not need any more tinkering. After punching some paper (to adjust sights) I moved over to the .22 range and did some serious knocking down of the metal plates. The 22/45 Lite uses the 1911 grip design so everything fell readily to hand. After putting the Ruger thru it's paces, I broke out my 1st Model Woodsman Target and tagged some more plates. As well done as the Ruger is, the Colt has ever so much more quality feel!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Took the Ruger out to the range today. Seemed to work pretty good with the exception of some early failure to feed problems. As the shooting went on, they seemed to be less and less. Decided that I didn't like the magazines (slide too gritty going up and down) so when I got home, I took them apart and went over everything with some 600 grip paper to get rid of moulding marks on the followers and to polish up the slot on the side of the magazine where the follower button rides. Works much nicer now, more like a Colt Woodsman mag! Also, I had to do some major adjusting to the sights, both windage and elevation. However, that is all set now and should not need any more tinkering. After punching some paper (to adjust sights) I moved over to the .22 range and did some serious knocking down of the metal plates. The 22/45 Lite uses the 1911 grip design so everything fell readily to hand. After putting the Ruger thru it's paces, I broke out my 1st Model Woodsman Target and tagged some more plates. As well done as the Ruger is, the Colt has ever so much more quality feel!
Just like with almost every .22 semi auto pistol made these days, these guns really need to be fed a steady diet of high velocity ammo.. CCI Mini Mag ammo usually works the best. That's why I always liked the Woodsman series..They would cycle just about any .22 ammo, including quiets.
Nice looking Ruger. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just like with almost every .22 semi auto pistol made these days, these guns really need to be fed a steady diet of high velocity ammo.. CCI Mini Mag ammo usually works the best. That's why I always liked the Woodsman series..They would cycle just about any .22 ammo, including quiets.
Nice looking Ruger. Good luck.
I agree completely. I was using Winchester Super X 1280 and 1300 fps 40 grain solid bullet ammo. I also had some 1250 fps 36 gr hollow points that worked pretty well. That should make any .22 auto function! I found some info on Youtube about small mods to the gun and the magazines that have shown to make the Ruger function 100% of the time. Will try some of these ideas (one at a time!) to see what works. More to come.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts