Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've done this before and even seen it suggested in Jerry K's book. My bolt looks to be dropping just a tad late (right before it goes into the notch), isn't affecting anything yet. But in order to change this, I need only break it down all the way to the bolt as it's screwed in (not removing that or the spring) and simply bending the tail end of the bolt outward (slightly) so it will release a little earlier.

Right? Wrong? DONT DO THIS OR YOUR GUN WILL BLOW UP?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Ohhhhhh...it would depend on where the problem is.

Or, the Bolt works in conjunction with, and is actuated by, the Rebound Lever.

The Rebound Lever is actuated by, and lifted by, a little 'Shelf' on the side of the base of the Hand.

The Hand is actuated by the motion of the Trigger.

Is it making a problem in any way? Cylinder over-rotating or anything in fast DA or SA cocking? Or..?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well moving the bolt tail outward bends it slightly away from the shelf of the rebound lever so that it releases earlier from the shelf. The hand doesn't have a part in this. It is rotating the cylinder from the rebound lever fine

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Adjusting a >properly< fitted bolt by bending the "tail" is the correct method.
BUT....... remove the bolt from the gun before bending. Bolt screws WILL break off if you bend with the bolt in the frame.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done it before with no problem but seems like you were somebody else told me taking the boat screw out can cause other problems in the timing is that right or wrong?

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
I've done it before with no problem but seems like you were somebody else told me taking the boat screw out can cause other problems in the timing is that right or wrong?
Simply removing a bolt and reinstalling it won't change anything.

Where Colt's can make you just crazy as a road lizard is that you have to totally disassemble the action, put in what you think is the right amount of bend, then totally reassemble it to see if you got it right. Taking it apart and reassembling it can get tedious.

Bending the "tail" of the bolt to properly time bolt drop is how Colt built them and how timing is adjusted after wear.
See Kuhnhausen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts