Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted in the WTB section that I was looking for a Weatherby Mark XXii bolt action. My collection is primarily Colts so my desire to find an accurate sporter rifle in 22LR was stymied by the fact that the Colteers just don't fit the bill. I really wanted something along the lines of my Colt Sauer, hence the "WTB a Weatherby Mark XXii". Thanks to Bruce (aka Snidely) and his upcoming move to Arizona, I was able to "adopt" this Mark XXii... it is now resting in the corral with the rest of the Colts. I look forward to the range visit once we have a less windy day here in mid-Michigan. Jack
Brown Wood Brickwork Door Brick
Brown Wood Door Brickwork Wood stain
Brown Door Wood Brickwork Brick
Font Symmetry Pattern Circle Illustration

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
That's a super nice rifle. It pained me to let it go but decisions have to be made and I can't keep everything. That is one purty rifle and it shoots as nice as it looks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This summer I sold the Italian-made 60s-70s Weatherby Mark XXII .22LR magazine-fed with 4 x 50 Weatherby Mark XXII scope, semi-auto/single shot 95% for $900 and thought I did well?

It was accurate but nothing like my Remington 541-S Custom Sporter 22LR bolt action magazine fed rifle. I've seen these sell in the $1,500 to $2,500 range.

·
Premium Member
8,077 Posts
The Weatherby MarkXXii is a beautiful rifle to me. I had both the .22 and .17hmr calibers in the Anschutz made. new in the box. at one time. Tough decisions had to be made but they made someone else happy too. I have some other .22’s by Cooper, Kimber, and Remington 541 Custom and i had to let something go at the time for something else…and can’t even remember what that was.
those Mark XXII’s are my favorite looking rifles I believe.
very nice. Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Sublimert - Love your new Mark XXII - they did a real justice to the older model in looks and accuracy! I do feel the pain in others in selling your Weatherby Mark XXIIs. I will keep mine for a bit longer. My Other favorite Bolt Action early 60s 22 is the Browning T-2 - bought in 1965 for $67 - a weeks salary then. Could not believe the wood when the dealer opened the box!

Musical instrument Plant Wood Air gun Shotgun
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Varnish Natural material

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sublimert - Love your new Mark XXII - they did a real justice to the older model in looks and accuracy! I do feel the pain in others in selling your Weatherby Mark XXIIs. I will keep mine for a bit longer. My Other favorite Bolt Action early 60s 22 is the Browning T-2 - bought in 1965 for $67 - a weeks salary then. Could not believe the wood when the dealer opened the box!

View attachment 767571 View attachment 767572 View attachment 767572
You’re right, gorgeous wood!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Weatherby MarkXXii is a beautiful rifle to me. I had both the .22 and .17hmr calibers in the Anschutz made. new in the box. at one time. Tough decisions had to be made but they made someone else happy too. I have some other .22’s by Cooper, Kimber, and Remington 541 Custom and i had to let something go at the time for something else…and can’t even remember what that was.
those Mark XXII’s are my favorite looking rifles I believe.
very nice. Congrats!!
I can only imagine having to sell especially since you had both. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update - the weather cooperated this morning here in mid-Michigan so I was able to take it to the range and shoot about 50 rounds seated, bench supported at 50 yards. Certainly not enough to get statistical data but enough to provide guidance on what 22LR to feed it. I shot CCI Standard Velocity Target, Federal Gold Medal Target, RWS HP, Eley Target, Eley Club and Eley Team. The worst performer was the Federal (0.62 in). Best performer, as expected, was the Eley Team at 0.45 in. Although I'm at sub-MOA at 50 yards, I believe there's room left for improvement. I look forward to getting more use to the rifle, etc.
Rectangle Font Triangle Material property Parallel

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This summer I sold the Italian-made 60s-70s Weatherby Mark XXII .22LR magazine-fed with 4 x 50 Weatherby Mark XXII scope, semi-auto/single shot 95% for $900 and thought I did well?

It was accurate but nothing like my Remington 541-S Custom Sporter 22LR bolt action magazine fed rifle. I've seen these sell in the $1,500 to $2,500 range.
The Berettas were nice rifles but, what I’ve read, is the bar was raised with the Anschutz action and they are now more accurate.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Orange Wood Engineering Machine Hardwood
Wood Tool Hardwood Flooring Machine
Hand Bicycle saddle Automotive design Bicycle part Motor vehicle
Revolver Trigger Air gun String instrument Hand tool
Very nice score..
I had never seen an XXll before but last week my OGCA table neighbor had a semi auto that was clean. It was priced way below what they usually sell for so out of boredom I took a closer look.
It's a Miroku built model with the single shot feature and mag fed but I noticed an extra screw in the side of the stock.
The stock had a repaired crack through the pistol grip area with the screw added to ensure no movement. Nice bluing and perfect bore so I made a ridiculous offer and he accepted.
Shoots well so I'm looking for a replacement stock.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 767691 View attachment 767692 View attachment 767693 View attachment 767694 Very nice score..
I had never seen an XXll before but last week my OGCA table neighbor had a semi auto that was clean. It was priced way below what they usually sell for so out of boredom I took a closer look.
It's a Miroku built model with the single shot feature and mag fed but I noticed an extra screw in the side of the stock.
The stock had a repaired crack through the pistol grip area with the screw added to ensure no movement. Nice bluing and perfect bore so I made a ridiculous offer and he accepted.
Shoots well so I'm looking for a replacement stock.
Good score! I’ve seen stocks on eBay or GunBroker… good luck and post pics when you are done!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Reactions: sublimert70

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Berettas were nice rifles but, what I’ve read, is the bar was raised with the Anschutz action and they are now more accurate.
I don't think the Anschutz Weatherby XXII 22LR came along until 2010 some sixty years after Beretta made them? I think they made a 22LR @ $899 and 17HMR @ $949.

First Berreta, then between 1967 and 1971, some 17,000 Weatherby Mark XXIIs with detachable box magazines came from KTG. In 1972 Nikko Kodansha, another Japanese company began building the rifle. This company delivered both tubular and box-fed .22s until 1980 when O.F. Mossberg & Sons took over manufacture. The 1979 Mossberg contract called for 25,000 rifles at a price 30 percent lower than Nikko's. But problems with the Mossberg rifles delayed delivery, and many orders were canceled. In 1983, nearly five years after negotiations had begun, Weatherby and Mossberg agreed to cancel their agreement. Roy immediately contacted Howa. This Japanese factory had already proven to be a reliable source of Vanguard and Mark V rifles. Between 1984 and 1988 Howa supplied all Weatherby's .22 rifles. After that, Weatherby put its energy into centerfire rifles.

The CZ 452 American in 22 Magnum, 22 LR and 17 HMR pre-pandemic price of $400 each is a bargain and they are tack drivers.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Is that speculation or is it marked 'Miroku'?
Was speculation as the gentleman selling it said Miroku.
It is marked "Made in Japan" so evidently there's another Japanese manufacturer possible. Looks like Miroku quality though. Mine was cheaper than a used 10/22.

·
Registered
579 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts