Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and know precious little about any kind of guns. I have many questions, here are a few:

1. What are the advantages of having a longer barrel over a smaller one, besides concealment?
2. What are the differences/disadvantages/advantages of a revolver vs a not-revolver (a handgun that doesn't have a revolver-like barrel)?
3. What's the difference between single-action, and double-action guns?

Thanks so much for all your help (in advance :-D)

[This message has been edited by 6Rounds (edited 12-19-2002).]

·
Registered
97 Posts
6Rounds,

1. Generally, longer barrel lengths are chosen by target shooters, not because the handgun is, due to the long barrel necessarily more accurate, but because the longer distance between the sights offers (at least in theory) a bit more precise a "sight picture". At the beginning of the 20th century 7¬Ω" barrels were the most commonly selected barrels by target shooters, today 6" barrels are more popular than 8" barrels. Why? Most feel that the 6" barrel is easier to manage well. Exception: free pistols (i.e. the pistols used are pistols "free", or not regulated by many rules and regulations), used in one of the Olympic competitions, usually have barrels of about 11¬Ω" length.

Hunters often select barrel lengths of about 8" to (again, at least in theory) obtain as much velocity from the arm as is possible. More speed for the bullet=, and at least on paper, more killing power.

Here and there handgunners engaged in either hunting or target shooting do choose shorther barrels for a multitude of reasons.

2. I don't understand your question. Would you rephrase it?

3. I'll confine this answer to revolvers since you've posted this on the revolver forum. In a single action revolver, pulling back on the hammer rotates the cylinder to align a fresh cartridge with the barrel and cocks the action. In a double action revolver, pulling the trigger causes the cylinder to rotate and lock in place just before the hammer drops to fire the arm. Most double action revolvers can also be thumb cocked, that is most double action revolvers can be operated in single action mode.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 12-21-2002).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts