Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Very scarce and very collectable. Collector Firearms in Houston has very nice guns, but their prices is another matter. I paid about $2,500-$3,000 for a very nice unboxed example. With 114 civilian made, there are not many to pick from. So only you can decide whether this one, probably the best and complete example I've seen, is worth $6,500.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Too much "Patina" in my book to go 98-99%, but in the end you have to satisfy yourself whether the condition matches the price.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Only 114 made for the civilian market? I'd never heard of this one before. Is it collectible or just an oddity? Any history would be appreciated.....

Colt 1905 USMC .38 Colt caliber revolver for sale.

Best,
Charles
It's a gorgeous example. Unfortunately, reference materials have been wrongly reporting production numbers for years, I believe starting with R.L. Wilson's "The Book of Colt Firearms". I don't have Bob Best's (COLTDAGUY) book on Model 1892 pattern Colt revolvers in front of me, but my recollection is that Colt produced about 802 military 1905 USMCs and 916 civilian examples. Somewhere along the way, someone mashed the two numbers together, coming up with 802 military and 114 civilian guns. Even at 916 guns, the civilian version is extremely rare.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
It's a gorgeous example. Unfortunately, reference materials have been wrongly reporting production numbers for years, I believe starting with R.L. Wilson's "The Book of Colt Firearms". I don't have Bob Best's (COLTDAGUY) book on Model 1892 pattern Colt revolvers in front of me, but my recollection is that Colt produced about 802 military 1905 USMCs and 916 civilian examples. Somewhere along the way, someone mashed the two numbers together, coming up with 802 military and 114 civilian guns. Even at 916 guns, the civilian version is extremely rare.
Hopalong nailed it for the most part. However, according to Mr. Bob Best's book there were 812 USMC guns and 926 Civilian guns produced. Interestingly enough, these Civilian guns are listed as available in blued or Nickle finish and were listed as capable of using the .38 S&W Special cartridge.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had never seen nor heard of that before. Handsome gun. Now I want one.

Reactions: cda926

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The only "real" difference between the Marine gun, the military and the civilian guns is the grip. The army/navy guns originally used a wood stock shaped much like that on a single action. The civilian guns had a slightly slimmer grip with less flare at the bottom and the Marine version had the smallest grip and stocks of all. While the Army/Navy and Marine versions all used wood stocks, the civilian version used the black plastic/gutta percha stocks unless special order deluxe stocks were ordered.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is an ad that touts that it is chambered in .38 Special as well as .38 Long Colt.......

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts