Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone- regardless of each person's opinion on the subject, open carry will (finally) be legal in Texas this January, and I have been looking for something to fit the need. I have no problem carrying a full-size 1911 but have been looking more at the commander and officer sizes. For better or worse, I especially like older colts or colts with special finishes (the nice blueing on older 1911's, nickel, bright stainless etc). I don't want to carry a blued gun so it's nickel or stainless.

I have a couple I am looking at and wanted to ask your opinion on the one below in particular. It's an enhanced officers model, and I definitely like the look. However it does have some modification at least in the mag release and magwell opening. Possibly in the trigger and sights as well. Anyway, is the asking price for this pistol reasonable or quite a bit more than you would be willing to pay?
Thanks for your advice!

Colt Officers 1911 MKIV bright stainless enhanced : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Seems a bit high to me, but maybe not.
Looks like a King's Gun Works extended slide stop and safety, magazine release over-sized button probably King's also.

The shorter slide 1911's seem a bit butt heavy in a holster, as there is not much gun to keep it vertical.
A Commander or Lightweight Commander might be a better option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Ken. I haven't carried an officers size before but that makes sense. Perhaps the right holster could help with that issue? Obviously I want to avoid blued guns because I don't want to wear off the finish, but have any of you carried the bright stainless or nickel colts before? Supposedly even the bright stainless will clean up well with some light buffing but I have no first-hand experience.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Not that I'm into open carry legal here in OK, just an illustration of a 1911 type .45ACP, short with a 3" barrel in my belt holster ---

Buffalo bone grips $40 plus DIY steerhead ---

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the advice and for the picture rhmc24! Does anyone else have any experience carrying these shorter colts? Or anyone with an opinion on how the nickel or bright stainless finishes hold up?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bright polished guns will show scratches almost as soon as you walk out the door. Need to lose both the extended mag release and extended slide stop; neither help with proper technique, and both can cause problems.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Price seems about $400 too high for me also since the grips are not real Ivory. Have you thought of just getting a new SS Commander and having it polished if you like the mirror finish look.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
The importance of a proper belt cannot be stressed enough. Everyone thinks about a good holster, but if you use a weak, thin belt the holster will not stay put against your body. It will hang out and make it apparent you're carrying a piece. Get a strong, thicker belt and a holster with the same size belt loop. I'm not saying that money isn't important but scrimping on the leather works against you.

I get most of my leather from El Paso Saddlery...the best quality and while not inexpensive, the prices are commensurate with the quality. Get on their email list and when they run sales around holidays, you might save some significant coin.

Reactions: LEO918

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the great advice. I don't own anything from El Paso Saddlery but have heard good things about them. And I have considered that Dakota, though haven't yet looked into it. I do know the new series 70's colt is making are supposed to be quality pistols. If I were to go that route, has anyone had aftermarket polishing done?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just a thought. I know you said .45 & I do carry a .45 Colt (custom built by a friend who was the local DPS pistol plumber) when I have to go certain places, but I also carry (all the time) a .380 Seecamp in a Seecamp designed in the pocket holster. Here in central Texas I wear shorts about 7 months a year and this combo lets me be comfortable, yet armed, EVERYWHERE I go. It also gives you a great backup in case you get "in too deep" like Rick referred to. cottonfarmer

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a thought. I know you said .45 & I do carry a .45 Colt (custom built by a friend who was the local DPS pistol plumber) when I have to go certain places, but I also carry (all the time) a .380 Seecamp in a Seecamp designed in the pocket holster. Here in central Texas I wear shorts about 7 months a year and this combo lets me be comfortable, yet armed, EVERYWHERE I go. It also gives you a great backup in case you get "in too deep" like Rick referred to. cottonfarmer
I actually do carry a small Kimber .380 with me almost everywhere I go :) It's not a mustang but it has all the lines of a micro 1911 which is why I was drawn to it. Now just looking for something larger for open carry.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I carry this owb in a belt slide holster and it's very easy. A LW Officers Enhanced

Has Hogue aluminum grips and msh.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I did not realize that Texas ever restricted open carry.
Concealed carry is relatively new there, n'est pas?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not realize that Texas ever restricted open carry.
Concealed carry is relatively new there, n'est pas?
Yes, it's crazy but Texas has actually had some of the stricter gun control laws in the country- far from the wild west image it gets. We were hoping broad open carry would pass but for now, only CHL holders may open carry, starting in January

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
What is the point of open carry for civilians, if you can concealed carry? Open to gun grab, damage, and hey if a bad guy sees it first , guess who gets shot first in an ambush or holdup. Just asking for touble and bad press in today's climate. Low profile is the way to go unless you have an inferiority complex. I can see open carry on private property , but otherwise, you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Hello everyone- regardless of each person's opinion on the subject, open carry will (finally) be legal in Texas this January, and I have been looking for something to fit the need. I have no problem carrying a full-size 1911 but have been looking more at the commander and officer sizes. For better or worse, I especially like older colts or colts with special finishes (the nice blueing on older 1911's, nickel, bright stainless etc). I don't want to carry a blued gun so it's nickel or stainless.

I have a couple I am looking at and wanted to ask your opinion on the one below in particular. It's an enhanced officers model, and I definitely like the look. However it does have some modification at least in the mag release and magwell opening. Possibly in the trigger and sights as well. Anyway, is the asking price for this pistol reasonable or quite a bit more than you would be willing to pay?
Thanks for your advice!

Colt Officers 1911 MKIV bright stainless enhanced : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Suggest a BSTS 1911-pattern ,in 38 super ,w/ ivory or MOP (OC and BBQ gun as well).
Or nickel 45LC SAA, w/ivory or MOP.
Both very Texas.

In Officers 45ACP, look for a stock BSTS that has been separated from a Double Diamond set.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What is the point of open arry if you can concealed carry? Open to gun grab, damage, and hey if a bad guy sees it first , guess who gets shot first in an ambush or holdup. Just asking for touble and bad press in today's climate. Low profile is the way to go unless you have an inferiority complex. I can see open carry on private property , but otherwise, you are asking for trouble.
The point? I wear a revolver roughly 90% of the time here at the house, and I never remove it until I go into the house for the evening. Three times this weekend I hop in the truck to run to town to grab a gallon of milk, some feed for the cows, etc., each time having to remove my rig before I go into the store. How nice it will be to not have to worry about that. How nice it will be to not have to worry about where I'm going to hide my CA Bulldog!

If you're really concerned about the things you mention, you definitely should not open carry.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts