Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Wheeling WV store in Jan of this year. I was passing thru and thought I would stop. Place was a mad house. You had to take a number to get waited on at the gun counters. I overheard a sales man telling a customer about AR's. Customer was looking at a bushmaster and then asked about a Colt AR. Salesman replied they didn't have any but no big deal because they are all the same. Customer said OK i will take this one. Price $1700. I didn't say a word but walked away quick. I was there this past friday. No crowds, so I asked a sale man about Colt 1911's, His reply.....They are hard to come buy, but we have others and they are all the same. I walked away again, although I did laugh pretty hard.....Don't get me wrong I like there stores and go to a lot of them, fun to look around. Only buy a little though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As a firearms instructor, I tell my students that when talking to salesmen in gun stores, they need to realize that they are there to sell guns. And the "best" gun is the one they "have", being a Colt or a Taurus. Unfortunately, most people believe what a salesman or the media tells them cause "they are all the same".

·
Registered
512 Posts
A good salesman will not only push you toward what they have in stock but also toward the product that has the best profit margin. That is why we do our homework and gather information here. It amazes me that someone will make a large investment in anything without doing some research.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
This reminds me of the time i went into the LGS looking for a rifle in .270. The owner tells me 'No you don't want a .270, you want a 30-06" I say no I want a .270. He points to his rack and says no you should get a 30-06 . I have plenty of those. I then say No I'd like a .270, can you order me one. His answer " NO" - Needless to say I did get a .270, but not from him !!!

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I had an A2 shorty way back in the '80s. no forward bolt assist, skinny barrel. It was nothing to write home about.
I have 2 others that aren't colts. they are at leas t as good and reliable as the Colt In had in the old days.
generally, if the thing is assembled with quality parts, the guns are, in fact, the same.
It is up to the individual to distinguish good parts from not-so-good ones.
Between me & my son, our rifles perform flawlwssly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Similar funny experience about a month ago in South Florida but at a Bass Pro Shop. They had some 1911 .22's under the glass and I asked if they had any .45's? His response was that "Colt stopped making the .45 in the 1911 a few years ago". I could not believe he just said that and probably looked at him a little crazy. We talked for a few minutes to help bring him up to date. He was glad to learn but I felt bad that BPS put him in a position/department that he did not belong.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Back in the early to mid-90s, when Sig came out with the .357 Sig cartridge, I went to my LGS in search of some ammo. I told the guy behind the counter what I wanted and he said "Sig is a gun, not a caliber". I told him that the .357 Sig was indeed a caliber. He handed me a box of .357 magnum and said "Here, these will work, trust me". I just left........

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I've dealt with the internet Cabelas as well as one particular store in Utah. The internet support for their gun library can give specifications and price but they don't deal, or at least the gentleman I was in contact via email couldn't. I ended up dealing with the store gun library manager who was informed and helpful and even cut a discount with me. As with any large "box store" you'll run into store clerks that don't know much or will repeat something they might have heard their co-worker say to a customer. If you find a store, and particularly a well informed manager, stick with what works for you and shun the others as it's a waste of your time to try to educate them, IMO. Then there's Academy...but that's a whole other level of HUH?

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I've picked up using the saying I've heard many times now.... "Well.. If you read it on the Internet then it must be true right !" I find that even talking to my large LGS that I don't know many things about many aspects of guns. I do find that I tend to know more, or at least I think I do .... Regarding the colt SAA and USFA revolvers. They do know a lot, but this forum has really helped me have an edge on them several times. The very first Colt that I bought there was a Bisley which is a first gen. They told me that the loading gate was not original because it did not match the serial number. With Forum help, I quickly learned that the number on the gate did match the number hidden underneath the trigger guard. I had another shop advising to buy the USPFA over the USFA because Colt sued them over that first name and those guns are sought after due to that fact. He had neither in the store and I felt he was being truthful, although mistaken. As reflected by the gunbroker sell prices, the USPFA used Uberti parts and and USFA switched to 100% U.S. parts at the time of the name change. This is widely known but somewhere along the way, he must have heard different. The USFA's have a higher worth than do the USPFA's do. I have heard several Gunshop salesmen tell me that colt has stopped making SAA's and 1911's. they hear this and since they probably never get in new from the factory, then somehow that becomes reality. I've had the truth from one or two, which is that they don't stock them because they have had times when they had the Colt for a long long time before selling. Rural NC is not affording the $1800 Wiley Clapp on most salaries ..or it's just not a hunting rifle with nice scope. I hope that no locals desire the Colts because it takes time for me to save the money to buy them and I can't come close to affording all the Colts I see for sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts