Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im new to this site. I just found it. I have been a Colt fanatic for years and have been collecting 1911's of various years etc. (The Colt brand, not the fakes!). Well i just came across and picked up a Colt Police Positive made in 1929. Some blueing is worn but its in great condition. The only thing I dont like was the Pachmyer grips that were on it when I got it. I ordered some Colt wood grips from ebay but they dont fit. If anyone can steer me in the right direction i would appreciate it. Everything on this pistol except the grips are original and I want to make it like it was, then shoot it. Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
By 1929 Colt had switched from the older hard black rubber molded grips to checkered walnut with silver Colt medallions.
Grips from back then had very different Colt medallions then those used after WWII.
The Colt Police Positive and Police Positive Special used the same grips.
In those days, grips were installed on the frame during finial polishing to insure a perfect fit, and the serial number was hand written inside to insure the same grips went back on the same gun.

You can often find originals on Ebay, the gun auctions like Gun Broker, and by advertising on this forums Classified area.

Hopefully, someone will post a good picture of what the grips looked like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information

Thanks. I looked back online and ive seen multiple styles and shapes. The ones I got are the checkered wood with the Colt medallion almost at the top. Im trying to upload a picture but haven't been able to yet. Ill keep trying. If I hold the pistol in my palm with the barrel pointed to my right the frame has a rivet or peg on the very bottom edge towards the rear of the metal frame. If I turn the pistol over so that the barrel is pointed left there is a similar rivet/peg on the bottom edge and again its farthest back. ( On either side the river is farthest down on the frame and farthest location away from the barrel. ) On the center of the metal frame portion where the grip would mount there is one other rivet, but only on the side featured when the gun is flat in my palm and facing my right. The grips I bought have small holes that would fit onto these pegs/rivets on a frame but they are located different than the ones on this pistol. Ill try to upload a photo.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Here are the walnut stocks on my '29 PPS. They aren't original to the gun (got them from a fellow forum member) but are correct for the revolver.

Knife

Click on picture to enlarge. It appears my editor isn't cooperating with enlarging for the post.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
SthTxOne, first, welcome to the Forum.

I believe I can help with your grip (stock) problem.

You said that you have a Police Positive that was made in 1929. I would guess that the serail number is a bit above 185000. Is that correct?

The problem is that your picture shows a Police Positive Special, a similar revolver that had a longer cylinder to accept .38 Special cartridges. They were both made concurrently starting in 1907 and 1908, and both started with serial number 1.

A Police Positive Special, with a serial number just above 185000 would have been made in 1919 or 1920, and would have a smaller grip frame (which was changed after 1927) and would have had the hard rubber stocks (grips) with the big "C" around the screw hole.

The stocks (grips) you show would fit the later larger grip frame contour.

Reactions: saintclair

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
This is a common issue we see all the time with the PP for folks looking to get the correct stocks. Unless you were familiar with them you would know. As pointed out you have the early frame that has the uses the narrow stocks. That's why yours are to large. The other reason could be, as its hard to tell from pictures is your stocks are E frame and are just to large everywhere. But i am betting they are just the the older ones that use the wider frame at the Butt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Aagain

Yes mine appears to be the narrow frame. I had called colt and gave them the serial number which is 306***. They said it was 1929? Could that possibly be an error on the year they quoted?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The Police Positive series had a jump in numbers in 1929. They started at 185000 and then jumped to 329000 at the start of 1930, so if you asked about a Police Positive with a serial number of 306***, 1929 would be correct.

However, the revolver you have pictured is a Police Positive Special, and a Police Positive Special with a serial number of 306*** puts it as manufactured in 1924. It would thus have the narrow grip frame as I noted above and would have used either the hard rubber stocks or possibly the narrow wooden stocks, which look like the ones you show but a sized to fit the smaller grip frame.

Reactions: saintclair

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Thanks, saintclair.

I found this picture of two of my revolvers, which may be helpful. The smaller grip frame is the top one shown here on a 1927 vintage 2" Police Positive Special; the larger, post 1927 style is below on a 1930 vintage Detective Special, which is what the 2" version of the Police Positive Special became known as. Both the Police Positive and pre-war Police Positive Specials (and Detective Specials up until @ 1933) of the same vintage used the same stocks (grips), the main difference between the two being the length of the cylinder.

The earlier style grip frame measures 1 1/2 inches, front to back, at the bottom, while the later style measures 1 3/4 inches.

SthTxOne, your revolver has the grip frame like the top one in the picture. Since the wooden stocks came into use around 1924, your revolver could have had either the wooden stocks like the one in the picture, or it could also have had the hard rubber stocks with the "C" around the screw hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much

I appreciate all yalls help and feedback. I ordered a set of the black rubber grips and a wood set. These are narrower so should fit. Ill know in a couple of days. Then if it works out Ill try to decide which set looks better. The wood set I ordered initially will go in the safe for now. Ill save it till I acquire a Colt that it fits on. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.