Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I just picked up a Colt Python 357 magnum 6" barrel. This is my first revolver and I have a question about which ammo to use. When I bought the revolver the gunstore guy comp'ed me a box of 38 specials. I thought he made a mistake. I looked at it like a deer in the headlights and kindly asked for a box of 357 magnums instead. Obviously the revolver can shoot the 38 special also. Is it better for the gun to shoot the 38 special load? Does the 357 load produce higher pressures which is not good for the gun? You can see I'm new to this area, I usually shoot 9mm and .45 semi-autos. Thanks for any advice.
Mike from NY

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Pros and cons from an ammo non-expert. The gun will shoot 38 specials with the caveat that an area of deposit can build up in the chamber because the chamber is bored a little further for the magnum cartridge with a resulting shoulder that the 38 special cartridge case does not reach. This requires careful cleaning or it can build up to the point where magnum cartridges will not chamber well. Many shoot 38s for the cost and comfort consideration. On the other hand, although the gun was designed to shoot magnums, one would have to presume they are a little harder on it by their nature. Many, however, enjoy shooting magnums because they can. ;) In particular to be considered, is the use of lighter weight higher velocity magnum cartridges per this previous thread. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7361 HTH :)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
mike,
the searcher pretty much summed it up.
I shoot 38 spl because it's cheaper and less of a strain ON ME!
the gun is perfectly capable of shooting 357 all day, but I'm not.:eek:

tom

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
I avoid shooting hot 125 gr .357 loads due to the strain and possible wear on the forcing cone (as the citing in A1As posting notes). The Python is a real "soft shooting" .357 Magnum in that it seems to have less apparent recoil than other .357s (at least for me). I shoot the 158 gr magnum loads and they are relatively pleasant. The so called "weakness" of the Python action is gross exaggeration. It is a tough durable handgun. If you carry it for personal protection a good load would be the .38 Special +P 158 gr Lead Semi Wadcutter Hollowpoints (the old "FBI load"). Dig out the 158 gr Magnums for Deer Season. Enjoy shooting your Colt!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mike,
There is only one reason for the dealers choice...cost. He pays less for 38 Special ammo, so he was limiting his investment in your customer satisfaction. Feel very good that he comped you a box of ammo at all, the best I can get out of my local dealer is a couple bucks off a set of dies. A box of ammo, not happenin'. I'm not complaining though, we always agree on value when doing trades and have been given unsolicited discounts on purchases. Plus, it's nice to know you don't have to count your fingers after a handshake.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Mike,
If you don't handload, I would recommend looking into it. You could tailor the ammo to your gun and your personal preferences. Using .357 Magnum cases, I load 158gr cast bullets, with TRAIL BOSS powder for real soft shooting .38 Special level loads. The full length case eliminates the residue issue.
You can also save a bundle over .38 and even more over ANY factory .357 ammo.
If you do any amount of shooting, a handloading set-up will pay for itself in a short time.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Pythons are accurate

I shot a Python out of the box several years ago with factory Remington 125 grain ammo. Supported against a post, I hit a pop can consistantly at 100 yards. It is a softer shooting magnum, that's sure.

JP

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most Pythons I've seen and owned tended to shoot 140 gr. .357's a little more accurately than 125's or 158's, but it will handle anything you put in there.

You will quit shooting hot .357's out of the gun before the gun is ready to quit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts