Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a owner of a post-war 2-inch Official Police. He told me he would be willing to part with it for 1200-dollars. This Colt is in very good condition and has original stocks. No box, no paperwork just the revolver. I backed off thinking that price is a little too steep, even for a two-inch OP. I would appreciate any feedback on his asking price. Gunbroker has numerous OP's for sale, no two-inchers, and most run from 300-600 dollars, with special like new OP's going higher. Does 1200-bucks sound too high for this described OP?

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Without pics it's difficult to judge the condition. If the gun has the original finish and in the condition you describe, the asking price of $1200 is quite reasonable. I collect Official Police revolvers and the 2" variety are quite scarce.

·
Read Only
1,919 Posts
Well.without pictures it is worthless!
I am beginning to be skeptical of new posters asking for evaluations like this as just recently a poster was fishing for sales. If legit, post clear close up pics and folks will be more willing to help.
Don't mean to sound rude but the more you provide the more the forum can help you.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
In this case I think the poster is trying to decide if HE should buy it.
I agree. It also would be difficult to get pictures if you do not own the gun. I would recommend doing a thorough search of completed sales and auctions to determine price on items in similar condition. Snakeman99's answer was a good one.

Jim

·
Read Only
1,919 Posts
I agree. It also would be difficult to get pictures if you do not own the gun. I would recommend doing a thorough search of completed sales and auctions to determine price on items in similar condition. Snakeman99's answer was a good one.

Jim
It not that difficult to get pics:confused: If someone is going to sell an item, then they should not have any problem giving pics.Regardless. any evaluation is just a guest at this point and not helpful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your input. Some of you might find it difficult to believe that a man goes around without a cellphone hanging off me all the time. I didn't have one available at the time I viewed this 2" OP. The scathing rebuke I received from one senior poster up there indicates he is not aware of this phenomena, nor does he know me. One can visualize a very good conditioned OP with the mind the good Lord gave us and offer an opinion of whether the cost is too great, just right, or not to touch, without demanding a photo as "proof" of ones question! If describing, and not showing, is offensive to the senior poster, then please accept my apologies in advance! My motive was simply tapping into the wisdom, residing in the Colt Forum!

·
Premium Member
18,960 Posts
David, Snakeman and Winston Wolfe are well regarded collectors of such guns, so their advice is very good. I have looked for a nice original OP with a 2-inch barrel for many years, locally, and have never found one. I would warn you that 2" barrels with OP markings can be installed on Colt Marshal frames (round butt) to create what appears to be an original gun. There were also quite a few RB 4" OP's purchased by some police forces that could have been converted to 2" models. Caveat emptor!

·
Read Only
1,919 Posts
Thanks all for your input. Some of you might find it difficult to believe that a man goes around without a cellphone hanging off me all the time. I didn't have one available at the time I viewed this 2" OP. The scathing rebuke I received from one senior poster up there indicates he is not aware of this phenomena, nor does he know me. One can visualize a very good conditioned OP with the mind the good Lord gave us and offer an opinion of whether the cost is too great, just right, or not to touch, without demanding a photo as "proof" of ones question! If describing, and not showing, is offensive to the senior poster, then please accept my apologies in advance! My motive was simply tapping into the wisdom, residing in the Colt Forum!
If you are referring to me, you need not apologize. I don't own a cell phone and probably never will either. Anybody can provide a photo whether you have a phone or not. Sure, you can get a value of a firearm with just a thought image, but if you want an informed value, then provide pictures. If you want to spend your money on a guess, then that is your choice. If you go through past postings, you will find a few few folks who "use " the forum and this can be frustrating. Yes, I am skeptical of some posts and if yours did not fall into this category I apologize.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There are periods where fads were created. During the 1960"s the fad was to customize, as an example take collectable Enfields and 03 Springfields and customize. Restock and customized for sporting purposes. The guns were cheap. During the 1950's 2" barreled revolvers were also popularized by a number of LE departments taking new and older OP's 4" and 6" and rebarreling with 2" barrels, lots around. Colt I believe capitalized on the fad and came out with the Marshal in 2" and 4". They also made a 2" OP that can be identified in a number of ways, the most obvious is they took the round butt Marshal frame and put a 2" OP barrel on it and called it an Official Police with 2" barrel. Lettering is a must to authenticate, I have 2 OP's with 2" barrels, one started out as a 5" prewar OP barreled with a 2" OP post war barrel and the other a 2" OP lettering as such and noted "round butt frame" (Marshal Frame). Lettering is a must as mentioned very easy to take a 4" Marshal and add a 2" OP barrel. Both are lettered and will be offered in the WTS shortly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts