Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i bought a Colt Double Diamond Officers 1911 for $1750,advertised as "nib" from a dealer.When i got the gun,the guns is new in the box[beautifull] but the serial number on the box is 0337DD instead of 003xdDD on the gun.Contacted the dealer and he said the boxes got mixed up somewhere down the line and he had no way of knowing where the original was sent.He offered to send me a period correct box with a blank tag or refund my money and take the gun back.My question is should i keep the gun or send it back?My second question is how would a run of 150 of this gun have a box tag with 0337DD instead of stopping at 0150DD anyway?Could be the box was part of a two gun set of 1000 that came with a Double Diamond Python?Help me out Colt gurus and collectors.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I don't know what to tell you to do about the box serial number slip-up but I believe 1000 sets of these were made.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
If it's a 3.5" BSTS Officers with Rosewood grips/anniversary medallions serial 03xxDD, it's from the aforementioned (Python +Officers + case) sets from 1986.

1750 with no box seems OK price.
Have seen these 2.5K-4K NIB , when sold separately from it's set ,in the past.Possibly less now, due to generalized Colt price pullbacks.

If looking at it as a collector not a shooter, get your money back, and save up for the full DD set.If you haven't seen a full set in person, they are gorgeous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's a 3.5" BSTS Officers with Rosewood grips/anniversary medallions serial 03xxDD, it's from the aforementioned (Python +Officers + case) sets from 1986.

1750 with no box seems OK price.
Have seen these 2.5K-4K NIB , when sold separately from it's set ,in the past.Possibly less now, due to generalized Colt price pullbacks.

If looking at it as a collector not a shooter, get your money back, and save up for the full DD set.If you haven't seen a full set in person, they are gorgeous.
The box is marked 0337DD,the guns serial is 003-DD.$1750 is along way from the 9-10 grand the pair in kits are going for.I do have a Python Hunter id trade for a Double Diamond Python if anyones interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought it from a reputable dealer with many high end Colts whos sold a few Double Diamond 1911s the last few months.He told me the boxes must of got switched so i requested he will contact the FFL the prior DD 1911 was sent,to try and find the original box.Well see what happens,i think if he was trying any funny biz he would of said "too bad,bye".I think rare Colts in new condition are harder to find than cash.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My guess is that virtually ALL of the DD sets are NIB.
Rick, actually a fair number encountered are missing box, papers, the case ,belt buckle, etc, or have the Officers Model or Python with evidence of use.
Or the pistol and revolver are split up.

The NIB full sets usually show up at certain high-end GB sellers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts