Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is OK for this forum.

I am list member but have not posted much over the years, but I would greatly appreciate the wisdom of the forum regarding Colt Archive Letters. I have a collection of 33 Colts (30 handguns, 3 long guns) which has been built over about 30 years but got started by a very generous inheritances from family that have passed on. The four collection “starters” are a SAA (1890), no finish but I had it mechanically repaired and tuned so it functions very well. A Camp Perry (1929), excellent on one side, very good on the other, 10 inch barrel. A 1932 Shooting Master in 99% condition with original box and test target and a 1929 Woodsman Target with original box and test target. My additions are not as nearly fine as the legacy firearms, that are in their third family generation and my son has promised to keep them moving forward in the family. My two questions are:

1. I think these four are worthy of letters even if they (hopefully) are never sold. Correct?
2. There is a 10% discount for five to ten letters. The next six in my list that I think that I might consider for the fifth to tenth letter are:

5. Match Target (1964) with very thin cold blue, replaced grips and repo magazine.
6. Government Model (.45 ACP, 1933) sold to the Argentine Government, arsenal refinish in Argentina, barrel, slide and receiver are all different numbers marked “Policia Federal”.
7. U.S. Model 1917 (.45 ACP, 1919) Parkerized finish, good condition except for the Son of Texas that decided to scratch his driver’s license number on the frame.
8. Detective Special (.38 Special, 1949) very good condition.
9. Police Positive Special (.38 Special, 1908) first year of production but hammer has been bobbed, good condition.
10. Model 1908 (.380 ACP). Good Condition

The long guns, 1863 rifled musket (very good), Colt Lighting (1890) .22 very poor condition, and a recent Colteer .22 do not seem to me to be worth letter given either availability, condition or rarity.

I am tempted to put the whole list (without serial numbers) on the forum for more comments but am a bit concerned about security. Thanks for taking the time to review this long post.

Prof. Bob

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I personally have never lettered any of my Colts. Just recently I finally did request a letter on my 1st Gen. 32 WCF. And received a swift confirmation from Paul that it will be processed accordingly. I just got to thinking that you never know with the Colt buyout by CZ if the historical records might just go away. I sure hope not but you just never know. GL to you in whatever direction you decide to take.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,922 Posts
Does the bobbed hammer on #9 look original or done after shipment? I am glad to see that you are lettering the first four as they deserve it. One thing nice about a letter is that you may uncover some really interesting information in the gun. Yes, many are just the run of the mill shipped to a hardware company in middletown USA but there is always the chance that a jewell will show up.

I try and letter as many as possible and have done so over the years. I just receiver a batch of 22 and sent in another batch of 28. There were several interesting letters in the batch that I just received. Since you are keeping these as family heirlooms it would be nice if they had a factory letter.

If you care to post a picture of the Shooting Master it would be most appreciated. I have a strong interest in these and certainly enjoy seeing them. Is the box green or brown? Colt started with one color and ended with the other. If it puts your mind at ease I have posted pictures of hundreds of Colts on the Forum without any problem. Please see this link for pics of the Shooting Masters and New Services: Let's see your New Service's and A close look at the Colt Shooting Master

Just my opinion.

Cam.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,922 Posts
I personally have never lettered any of my Colts. Just recently I finally did request a letter on my 1st Gen. 32 WCF. And received a swift confirmation from Paul that it will be processed accordingly. I just got to thinking that you never know with the Colt buyout by CZ if the historical records might just go away. I sure hope not but you just never know. GL to you in whatever direction you decide to take.
I don't see the Colt letters going away. The Historical Department was not owned by Colt and is a private company. They moved to another location long before the buy out.

Cam.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I don't see the Colt letters going away. The Historical Department was not owned by Colt and is a private company. They moved to another location long before the buy out.

Cam.
Thanks Cam. Hoping someone would have this opinion. I sure hope it stays and believe it will too. I guess I was thinking the worst. Appreciate your post.

Reactions: thecoltguy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I letter every Colt because I consider it "worth it" to know all I can about each one I own. I would "for sure" letter all ten you list.

What caliber is the Shooting Master?
The Shooting Master is .38 Special.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the bobbed hammer on #9 look original or done after shipment? I am glad to see that you are lettering the first four as they deserve it. One thing nice about a letter is that you may uncover some really interesting information in the gun. Yes, many are just the run of the mill shipped to a hardware company in middletown USA but there is always the chance that a jewell will show up.

I try and letter as many as possible and have done so over the years. I just receiver a batch of 22 and sent in another batch of 28. There were several interesting letters in the batch that I just received. Since you are keeping these as family heirlooms it would be nice if they had a factory letter.

If you care to post a picture of the Shooting Master it would be most appreciated. I have a strong interest in these and certainly enjoy seeing them. Is the box green or brown? Colt started with one color and ended with the other. If it puts your mind at ease I have posted pictures of hundreds of Colts on the Forum without any problem. Please see this link for pics of the Shooting Masters and New Services: Let's see your New Service's and A close look at the Colt Shooting Master

Just my opinion.

Cam.

Thanks for your advise. The bobbed hammer on #9 seems like a home done job and it does have a great deal of carry wear. I have posted pictures of the Shooting Master (.38 Special), target and box in a previous post. I am trying to link it to this response. Let's see your New Service's Hope that works. I am going to put pictures of the other three below as well as a picture of an Open Top Pocket that I think might have some interesting history.

SAA dated 1890
Colt Open Top Right.JPG

Woodman Target Dated to1929

Please excuse the poor job on removing a small area of rust near the Colt

Dated as 1929

SAA Left.JPG SAA Right.JPG Woodsman Left.JPG Woodsman Right.JPG Camp Perry Left.JPG Camp Perry Right.JPG Colt Open Top Left.JPG Colt Open Top Right.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that provided comments. I went ahead with five letter requests. The four "family" items and the Colt Open Top Old Line 22. I called to see if there was any info on my oldest Colt, a model 1849, but they told me there was not any info on my serial number so I did not request it. Hope to get some interesting letters back.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts

I am list member but have not posted much over the years, but I would greatly appreciate the wisdom of the forum regarding Colt Archive Letters. I have a collection of 33 Colts (30 handguns, 3 long guns) which has been built over about 30 years but got started by a very generous inheritances from family that have passed on. The four collection “starters” are a SAA (1890), no finish but I had it mechanically repaired and tuned so it functions very well. A Camp Perry (1929), excellent on one side, very good on the other, 10 inch barrel. A 1932 Shooting Master in 99% condition with original box and test target and a 1929 Woodsman Target with original box and test target. My additions are not as nearly fine as the legacy firearms, that are in their third family generation and my son has promised to keep them moving forward in the family. My two questions are:

1. I think these four are worthy of letters even if they (hopefully) are never sold. Correct?
2. There is a 10% discount for five to ten letters. The next six in my list that I think that I might consider for the fifth to tenth letter are:

5. Match Target (1964) with very thin cold blue, replaced grips and repo magazine.
6. Government Model (.45 ACP, 1933) sold to the Argentine Government, arsenal refinish in Argentina, barrel, slide and receiver are all different numbers marked “Policia Federal”.
7. U.S. Model 1917 (.45 ACP, 1919) Parkerized finish, good condition except for the Son of Texas that decided to scratch his driver’s license number on the frame.
9. Police Positive Special (.38 Special, 1908) first year of production but hammer has been bobbed, good condition.

The long guns, 1863 rifled musket (very good), Colt Lighting (1890) .22 very poor condition, and a recent Colteer .22 do not seem to me to be worth letter given either availability, condition or rarity.

I am tempted to put the whole list (without serial numbers) on the forum for more comments but am a bit concerned about security. Thanks for taking the time to review this long post.

Prof. Bob
I think that the Archives group still gives a 10% discount if 10 letters are ordered at one time.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts

Prof. Bob
I think you should sport for all but I realize that's a lot of money. You have a good starter list and you probably know which are...eh? But I find those historical records so wonderful and adictive. You never know where that firearm has been. History is fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts