Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The biggest gun show I go to is this weekend, and it's huge. We spent 6 hours there, and I barely had time to see all the buildings, and perhaps most of the tables. For Colt collectors, the inventory was good. The things I look for, mostly sleepers, were out there, and some had good prices. Instead of just 1 out of 10 being priced right, I saw about 5 of 10. But the problem was I just bought a motorcycle, and felt guilty bringing more than a couple hundred dollars and a trade item to sweeten the pot. Everything was just out of budget. A Colt .25 auto in excellent condition, a fire blue Police Positive, and a Official Police in .22 were all...just...out...of range.

So I got this nice Savage and came home with a few bucks. It's in excellent condition, great case hardening, and I'd rate it about a 95%, much better than the other one I got this year. Made in 1911. It's funny how both dealers and buyers pretty much ignore these high quality classics. Always been that way, since the 1970s when I first took note of them. So...the collector can buy them cheap and own a design that came in 2nd in the great US Army runoff for a new .45 Automatic. It's a design with no screws used, and lots of machining that couldn't be done today. Their finish rivals an early Colt 1903 too. But for speculator/investors, they've never really gone up, so don't plan on this being your retirement investment. For some strange reason.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Gorgeous!!

Those earlier ones are my own favorites too..love those little rear Sights..!

What a nice find!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Sorry to have missed you I've been at the show for three days with Sunday to go and I still haven't seen all 2500 tables.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you mean the Phoenix show that opened 2 days ago, it's easy to miss people. I went with three friends and never saw them again after we entered until 5PM. I move fast, and pass any table with jerky, jewelry, or black plastic guns. So I only have to slow down for about 1 out of 5 tables, for the antique guns.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The finish on the pre WWI 1907s is SPECTACULAR. One of the best ever put down on a mass produced American firearm. This pistol introduced the detachable double stack magazine, and the idea of the slide inside the frame, and they have a breech block seperate from the slide, and a concentric recoil spring. These are highly innovative, and will always hold a place in Firearms history. Both the Sauer 1913, and John Browning’s Grand Rendement prototype are clearly influenced by the Savage 1907. As far as not gaining in price, they may not stay in the sub $500 market forever, and there is an excellent book wrote about them (Bailey Brower’s). I have taken the oppurtunity already to pick up an unused 1919 model for under $500.

How are they to shoot? Nothing to write home about. The trigger is...not very good. Sights are awful, even when compared to other pocket guns of the same era (FN 1900&1910, Colt 1903, Mauser 1914, etc). Feels like a 2x4 in the hand. They do seem to work well when the springs are freshened up. These are the pistol equivalent of the Winchester 88, so much cool stuff going for it on paper, but in person, almost without personality to handle (like a 2x4)

Sum Up: a cool piece of history, more of a collector than a shooter. Not one that will have you coming back for more. Cool to look at, but completely outclassed by its contemporaries at the range.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
It was a good show for me as well. Had fun, bought & sold a few nice Colts...

Reactions: LEO918 and 68python

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Where is Snakeman's Booth? I was there for 3 hours today and am going back tomorrow.
I had a table in first half of the Agriculture Building (just before you passed into the second half). I was there Friday and Saturday but had to pack up this afternoon and won't be there on Sunday. Sorry that I missed you...

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I just got to the Colt Forum and saw the excellent Savage pistol "azshot" got at the show. I read the comments about the Savage, but I have to agree with what "azshot" had to say: "It's funny how both dealers and buyers pretty much ignore these high quality classics. Always been that way, since the 1970s when I first took note of them. So...the collector can buy them cheap and own a design that came in 2nd in the great US Army runoff for a new .45 Automatic. It's a design with no screws used, and lots of machining that couldn't be done today. Their finish rivals an early Colt 1903 too. But for speculator/investors, they've never really gone up, so don't plan on this being your retirement investment. For some strange reason."

In my opinion, the Savage Pistol has risen very slowely in price over the past 5 years since I bought my first one. But they are still a very nice pistol for beginning collectors and advanced collectors. They are well made pistols and a lot sold during it's run. Most collectror should own at least one of them and shoot it; they are fun!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cool score...

Congratulations.

I went to a show yesterday and saw a really nice Type II M in .32 that was calling out to me.

1909 date, a few hundred numbers away fro one I already have, ~98% finish, nice FB, no box.

Seller wanted $2200.

I can still hear it calling faintly in the distance...

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just got to the Colt Forum and saw the excellent Savage pistol "azshot" got at the show. I read the comments about the Savage, but I have to agree with what "azshot" had to say...
In my opinion, the Savage Pistol has risen very slowely in price over the past 5 years since I bought my first one. But they are still a very nice pistol for beginning collectors and advanced collectors. They are well made pistols and a lot sold during it's run. Most collectror should own at least one of them and shoot it; they are fun!
Thanks, I know you like them too. I remember seeing them in gun books and then gun shows as a boy. The Indian head logo and name "Savage" was appealing to a boy. Also, they didn't look like anything else (except maybe the Astra ray-gun pistols). They were often priced about $70-120, almost within reach of a 11 year old. But they were just .32s, and even then I wanted rifles or bigger caliber handguns. So I saved more, and just kept looking at the Savages but never buying. That's why this year I finally got one. I liked it so much, I got another this weekend.

I have a different opinion about the shootability of the Savage than member 650931 reported earlier. To me, the gun is an impressive shooter. The grip is flat and long enough to get your pinky finger onto the grip. It feels almost full sized in the hand. The long, round barrel makes it very pointable, for instinctive shooting. Yes, the sights are tiny, as on any gun from the early 20th century, including the 1903 Colt, 1902 Colt, etc. The trigger is fine for me, I've been shooting antique guns my entire life. There are much worse ones out there. The gun's weight dampens any recoil, so the gun is pleasant to shoot, it's really a fun "kit gun" or plinker, rather than a defensive gun. Yet, I like carrying it in my coat pocket. Here is the first one I got a while back, that prompted me to get another in better condition. It's pretty accurate at 15-20 yards.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It was a good show. I like seeing the SAA bought and hearing of the others who went. If I had a bag of money, I would have come home with a Detective Special, a dua-tone Official Police in .22, a 1913 Police Positive, a New Service 4 1/2" in .45, and probably a few others. All were priced substantially below the Gun Broker average. But I'd just bought a vintage motorcycle last week, and had it shipped, so wanted to tone down the spending. Paid $200 for the Savage. Deals are out there....

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
I happen to think these are a remarkable little pistol, just in their "build" alone.

The thought and engineering that went into the manufacture of these pistols is absolutely amazing. Can you think of any other, high quality machine, made from steel that requires no screw in its assembly?: I sure can't and that's what makes these so interesting.

Thanks for posting, and I think you got yourself a pretty good specimen while you were there. Congratulations.

Bud

The biggest gun show I go to is this weekend, and it's huge. We spent 6 hours there, and I barely had time to see all the buildings, and perhaps most of the tables. For Colt collectors, the inventory was good. The things I look for, mostly sleepers, were out there, and some had good prices. Instead of just 1 out of 10 being priced right, I saw about 5 of 10. But the problem was I just bought a motorcycle, and felt guilty bringing more than a couple hundred dollars and a trade item to sweeten the pot. Everything was just out of budget. A Colt .25 auto in excellent condition, a fire blue Police Positive, and a Official Police in .22 were all...just...out...of range.

So I got this nice Savage and came home with a few bucks. It's in excellent condition, great case hardening, and I'd rate it about a 95%, much better than the other one I got this year. Made in 1911. It's funny how both dealers and buyers pretty much ignore these high quality classics. Always been that way, since the 1970s when I first took note of them. So...the collector can buy them cheap and own a design that came in 2nd in the great US Army runoff for a new .45 Automatic. It's a design with no screws used, and lots of machining that couldn't be done today. Their finish rivals an early Colt 1903 too. But for speculator/investors, they've never really gone up, so don't plan on this being your retirement investment. For some strange reason.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I love the bluing of these guns. So vibrant and BLUE!!!

I may not have the desire to own many guns, but I can certainly appreciate the ones that deserve it.

Reactions: azshot

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Wish I had seen the dual-tone .22 OP, it would have come home with me...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts