Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newly acquired Agent is lots of fun to shoot, but it seems to have a problem with light primer hits (small dimple in the primer). The average is maybe one time in a dozen, having a light hit when shooting DA mode. But it isn’t spaced out evenly. In one cylinder-full it happened with two chambers, one right after the other. Other times I get through 10 or more shots no problem. I was shooting loads from two different factories and the primers always fired on the second try if they had a light hit on the first.

So what might be causing this?

Bart Noir

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Pretty hard from all the way across the continent w/o seeing the gun-BUT-in this order;

1)Weak/improperly tensioned mainspring,possibly due to a prior owner using the "drill rod in the wishbone" to lighten the pull-but too much.
2)hammer rubbing on frame or side plate,losing some of its energy on the friction.
3)firing pin worn or too short.
4)is ammo FULLY seated in the chambers and ejector-usually caused by crud in chambers/under the ejector. 1st strike will seat them deeper and leave a dimple,2nd strike will fire them. If they are really not seated the face of rims will rub on recoil shield.

From what you said it does NOT seem like timing,as the "dimples/strikes are centered.

Good Luck,
Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good ideas, I'll be checking all those soon as I can. And then firing some more. Part of the fix-it process is shooting and that's always fun!

Bart Noir

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I'm back and with happy results. There was a definite rubbing of the upper left hammer edge, on the inside of the frame. I removed a little metal, cleaned carefully, and now it shoots 6x6x6x6.... with absolutely no problems. Except the part about getting too hot to handle after awhile. "Happiness is a warm revolver." Thanks for the tips.

Ever had a gun that named itself? I found a woman's name vibro-etched on the grip frame, once I removed the serial-numbered-to-gun grips/stocks, you know what they are. Along with a 4-digit number. Maybe it was the backup gun for a lady officer and this was a badge number. I'll never know....

Bart Noir

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I didn't think of that. But the number is etched in the same style as the name so I assumed they were done together. I'll just continue to think that I have Officer Mildred's off duty gun. Sure is fun to shoot, and two of us found that hanging the pinky finger under the short grip removes any need to have a Tyler T-Grip added. The trigger guard doesn't rap the knuckle, at least with regular power .38s.

Bart Noir

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was issued a nickel 2" Cobra for a backup gun and carried it for about 8 years. I tried to buy when I retired, but was told NO!

Last year I picked up an Agent. It rides nicely in my pants pocket as a backup to my .45 (either a M625 S&W, a Ruger Blackhawk, or a 1911).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts