Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a parked Agent (unfired but no box or papers).

From my search I understand that these were made during a strike at Colt circa 1983 and are few in number. This seams correct since the screws and pins are all bright blue but the rest of the gun is dull park.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of anyone familiar with this run and the number that came out parked.

The serial number is AB 04030 and the seller thought the frame was steel and priced it right for me.

Also, does anyone know how they parked aluminum? A friend mentioned that he thought they copper plated the aluminum first.

It's pictured here with it's Cobra (unfired when I got it but not now) twin both now sleeping nestled together in my safe.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Don't know how many were made, but they appear on auction at least as frequently as the blued, if not more. Here's my pair. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also posted in the "pairs" photo thread with probably unappreciated humor. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yours looks like a very nice example. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn A1A,

Those are really pretty.

For some reason I'm drawn to the light weights and can't stop myself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just picked one up myself. They are beautiful little machines. Friday I had my local gunsmith have a look and it checks out fine.

It's been a good experience so far. I got a good deal, and I have been enjoying eveything I've been learning about the Agent, which is my first handgun. Here are pics of my mine, and some informed discussion:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=38997&an=0&page=2#Post38997

Since the above pictures were taken, I've cleaned and oiled the revolver, and it looks very very good. The parkerizing holds the oil, and I understand that's why the military liked the finish back in the day. It is my understaning that Colt used the parkerized finish to keep costs down.

I had been planning to purchase a Ruger Sp101, but the dealer showd me the Agent and, after doing my homework and realizing what I was looking at, I purchased it. I'll probably get the Sp101 eventually, but in the mean time I am happy I picked up the Colt.

Go to www.Glocktalk.com and do a search for "Colt Agent" in the Non-Glock Firearms forum and you will find some more information.

Ayoob has an article on the Agent and the Detective in this month's American Handgunner. He gives it a very positive review.

There is an outfit that sells a very good copy of an original DS/Agent manual on e-bay, and I purchased one. The information it contains, however, is available here:

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

As you learn more about the Agent, please share the results of your research at this forum.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
The aluminum frame is not really parkerized.
It's simply a dull gray anodized coating, that looks like the parkerized steel parts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dfariswheel,

Unlike a lot of older Cobra's where the barrel and cylinder weren't even close to matching the aluminum, this gun is very uniform in color so I was wondering if there was some way that Colt managed to park the frame.

BTW - Am I correct in my info about these parked models being done during a labor strike? As mentioned, the screws and pins are bright blue in stark contrast to the rest of the metal and that leads me to think the story is true.

If so, was the production of the parked models limited to only that period?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Just for kicks, here are some pics.
Three versions of stocks used on post '66 short grip frame D frames. The center set is the later style standard "combats" with 5/8" bottom extension used mostly on DSs and Cobras. The right set is the later style "targets" with 1" extension used on Vipers and PPSs (longer barrels). The left set is the earlier style with 3/8" extension used on the post '66 Agents to make the grip length the same as the original Agent. I should have lined up the screws in both shots, but...

This is a shot borrowed from an auction showing the original Agent grip frame and stocks. This grip frame is shorter than the full DS grip frame of the period but longer than the post '66 shortened D frame grip frame (by 3/8" /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ). You can see that externally the dimension is the same as the left set above, but without the wrap-under extension to make up the difference.

Hope this is of some interest. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Acrobat:

The dull finished Colt revolvers were made during the great Colt strike.
Lacking enough skilled polishers to do everything, Colt assigned them to the top models, and produced a series of unpolished dull finish revolvers.

These were the Peacekeeper version of the Trooper Mark V, the Commando Special version of the Detective Special, and dull finish Agent and Cobra versions.

For some reason, Colt didn't give the dull finish Agent and Cobra special names like they did with the Mark V and DS.

Other than the dull finish, the guns were the same quality in all other respects.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can someone suggest ammunition for the Agent? With the aluminum framre +P is of course not a good idea. Moreover, I read that contemporary standard .38 special ammunition is higher pressure than the .38 special of a generation ago.

What brands and types of ammunition fall within the lower pressure category?

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Colt Strike

Colt Agent,

I'm no historian but this is what is reported at http://www.colt.com/mil/history.asp

"In 1988 Colt suffered a disastrous blow: the loss of the government contract for M-16 rifles. An agreement to sell Colt Firearms Division to C.F. Holdings Corp. was announced in 1989, and in 1990 the company was sold to a coalition of private investors, the State of Connecticut, and the union employees (renamed Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc.). <font color="blue">The sale brought to an end the four-year strike by the UAW." </font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts