Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there much of a difference between a Cobra, and an Agent? It seems to me that the only real differences are the grips and the shorter ejector rod of the Agent. Is there anything else? Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The Agent and Cobra differences depend on the time they were made.

The early 1950's Cobra had the same grip frame as the steel Detective Special. These guns had a long, rounded metal grip frame.

The Agent was intended to be a minimum-size hide-out gun, so Colt shortened the aluminum frame to a "stubby grip".

In the mid-1960's, in a cost cutting move, Colt changed ALL the "D" frame revolvers to use the same stubby grip as the Agent did.

From this time on, the only difference between the Cobra and Agent were the markings on the barrel, and that the Agent usually used shorter wooden grips than the Cobra did.

Here's a picture of the long grip frame as used by the 1950's Detective Special and Cobra, and the short grip frame as used first by the Agent, and later by all the small Colt's.

NOTE: That the caption on the long frame is wrong, the Agent used the "Stuby frame.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dfariswheel. Was there any difference in the ejector rod? I seem to recall seeing some pictures of the Agent from what I presume was the late 1950's that show the ejector rod on the Agent being somewhat shorter than, say the DS of the same period. Anything to this or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The Detective Special, Cobra, and Agent of the mid-1950's all had slightly shorter rods, as I recall.

At some point, probably in the early 60's Colt lengthened to rod to near-muzzle length.

The Detective Special had a short rod from the 1920's until then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually it does. The mainspring was taken out for some reason in this photograph. Notice the position of the hammer in the one on the right. My PPS's all have the V-shaped mainspring, and a lot of them have the shorter grip frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts