Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been enjoying my time with a LE6920 I purchased right before the madness of the crazy price increases over a year ago, and have enjoyed shooting it with iron sights and getting to know the gun in general.

So I think I've finally decided to take the plunge to the next step of buying a quality optic. A friend of mine has allowed me to borrow an Aimpoint Comp M3 RDS, and it is very nice and the quality appears to be stellar, but the issue I have it it appears to be completely for close quarters.

I have heard that a great 1-4x Illuminated Scope may be the way to go. It just seems like this would be more versatile, especially if it had some Bullet Drop Compensation built in to the reticle and you could spin it to reach further distances.

Also, can anyone tell me how they have mounted or rigged their 6920 or equivalent? Did you pull of the front A Pillar Iron sight?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I mounted a eotech and magnifyer on my 6920 with factory front sight left on. I am not a huge fan of optics on my ar's and much prefer the iron sights. I pulled my setup off of my 6920 and put it back stock after playing with it for awhile.

View attachment 40487

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've the 6720 for years and just use a 'see-through riser' on the rail so I can use my 2x6x34 scope or BUIS. Later, I put an old Bushnell 3x9 I had laying around (from somewhere) and it is perfect. It pretty much stays on 4x or so, but it sure extends as far as I want to see.
Also, I've seen some curved risers, 'C' shaped, that go 2-4 inches, great looking, but cost a bit.

My Bush XS15 is BUIS only and only has a flashlight I attached to either an upper or lower rail I got with a new hand guard. It is more of a Home-Defense carbine than a hunting carbine... so I keep my Colt Defender .45 close-by... it will get me to the safe if necessary.... where all the long guns remain loaded with mag springs changed every 10-15 years.

I expect, and stay prepared for 'Tyranny'. Maybe 40 years in LE has 'made me paranoid'... or 'taught me how whack our gov't really is'.
Not likely 'paranoid' as all my retired & active LEO friends from County Deputies to Homeland Security are quite pessimistic about our Nation's future.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
The Front site on the 6920 is by design not to be " seen " if optics (Scopes) are used. there is a letter "F" forged into the front site. This marking notates the comparability with a flat top receiver. Id leave the factory sites alone.

Removing the front site as you've asked will render the Carbine inoperable, its integral to the gas system of the AR design.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
By all means have a great time shooting that weapon! I have one ( LE6920) as well as my first AR15 A2 Sporter I bought when I was 19 yrs old in 1985. I have alot of fond memories shooting the A2. Now that I'm a dad my sons are shooting both of them now! :cool:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

My 6920 carbine's setup is mainly for home defense close quarters, indoors or outdoors up to 300 yd.

Sometimes I use my Nikon 3-9X40 hunting scope to test my ammo accuracy and for long range shooting up to 600 yd.

I mainly decided on my optic choice on what role will my carbine be used, for close range the red dot sight are best because you shoot with both eyes open, there is virtually no parallax even if the dot is at the edge of the optic field of view it will hit where the red dot is aimed at.

Occasionally I shoot to evaluate different ammo loads that I have and so I use my 3-9X40 scope on quick detachable mount, for medium ranges 300 to 400 yd I just use what I have which is a magnifier on flip to the side (also quick detachable mount), at about 2.5 to 3X and higher magnification the fixed front sight becomes like a transparent ghost and don't bother me much.

I'm not too satisfied with my medium range setup and I'm currently saving for either a 1-4X or 1-6X compact scope, so far I'm leaning towards the Leupold-Colt brand which could be purchased from the Colt site shop, but I'm also looking at other medium priced brands like Redfield, Burris, Vortex, and Weaver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 1x6 Burris would be a definite contender from my experience. I currently use a 3x9-40mm Bushnell, I've had for years and it has decent light with the 40mm lens.
I've seen many ARs with 44-50mm diameter lens that are outstanding. I prefer a mil-dot for instant range and windage adjustment, so I got an inexpensive mil-dot 2x6, which will do anything I need it to, but I don't shoot much over 4x.
Many knowledgeable shooters will say to definitely buy only 'high-end', I've tried friends high dollar optics and just don't see the need to spend so much.
At the range, their $700. optics just don't beat my $99. optics. We are quite even on BUIS.

The new Burris Surefire III is a fine CQB site and seems perfect for my PLR-16 5.56 pistol (their EoTech would be a bit of overkill on that one). I don't know if I'd need an optic for HD as I can easily shoot from the hip with an AR or 5.56 pistol for any range inside my house, but I certainly would have a push button light mounted for night use. A target needs ID, before I shoot at it.
However, I do not use a 5.56 for HD. I find my .45acp much more functional should I need to answer the door bell.
99.99% of the time its a family member, friend, neighbor (or some friendly), so I can easily slip the pistol in my rear pocket and no one is the wiser.
A sidearm also conceals in my recliner, kitchen shelf, etc., during daylight hours.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I first tried a red dot scope with a 3X magnifier behind it and wasn't comfortable at all. Never got a clear picture through the scopes without an annoying ghost of the front sight. I don't have the concentration to ignore the ghost.

Went with the Nikon P-223 3-9X40 BDC600 reticle and looking at the picture below you would think the iron sight would be right in the center of my sight.

Gun Machine gun Soldier Shooting Optical instrument

Don't understand how it works and don't really care to know.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an Aimpoint PRO on my 6920. Best bang for the buck IMO.

Just recently put a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 on my Knight's SR15. Got it sighted in yesterday and I'm very happy with it. Acts like a red dot for close range then you can dial it in for a going a little longer. Best of both worlds.

I really like the Aimpoints but I have a bit of an astigmatism and it distorts the dot a little. Still usable but the Trijicon does not get distorted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.