Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I like it. Nice early example confirmed by Kopec's letter. If I wasn't old and divesting of property I would buy that gun. Front sight looks excellent for a cut barrel. Still has the type one housing...that is the kind of history/SAA i like.

·
Premium Member
20,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gun has a traceable history. The fact that it was an original Ainsworth that was sent to VA and then sold to a company (maybe even Colt) that reworked old Military SAA's for civilian use gives it provenance that should be attractive to collectors who are not fixated on owning only all original condition Ainsworth Cavalries or Artilleries that got stored away in footlockers after their military use.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
This is a historically significant gun with established provenance. In the configuration it was in in the early 1870s. Beautiful italic address, sharp serial numbers. sharp,crisp edges, perfect action, nice bore, nice ivories, professional front sight and muzzle crown. Looks like a Colt job to me. The gun is just like it was 140 years ago, nothing abused or fraudulent about it. Contrast this authentic gun to a gun with badly buffed markings, heavily buffed rounded edges, crude cut barrel and ugly welded front sight, improper and reproduction parts attached, and not functioning properly, all work probably done by Bubba in 1955. No comparison from a collector stand point. This seller is pretty proud of his stuff, but I would pay 3K for this gun.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I am considering this gun, the only thing that disturbs me is that it has been in major dealer/collector possession for some time and has no factory letter with it.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I am considering this gun, the only thing that disturbs me is that it has been in major dealer/collector possession for some time and has no factory letter with it.

How about buying this one instead so I don't have to :rolleyes:

Antique Arms, Inc. - Colt 1873 SAA US Mk'd Revolver -Low SN#, Ainsworth Mk'd w/ Kopec Letter-

John Gross

ADDED: The reason there is no factory letter is that there are no letters available from Colt for Martial SAAs below serial number (appoximately) 32000.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
How about buying this one instead so I don't have to :rolleyes:

Antique Arms, Inc. - Colt 1873 SAA US Mk'd Revolver -Low SN#, Ainsworth Mk'd w/ Kopec Letter-

John Gross

ADDED: The reason there is no factory letter is that there are no letters available from Colt for Martial SAAs below serial number (appoximately) 32000.
Thought there may have been a letter if resold on the civilian market, or that the seller would have mentioned that none was available. But the circumstances of the sale of this gun were very unusual. I like that Cavalry you linked to. If it had the original ejector and tube I would be on it.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Thought there may have been a letter if resold on the civilian market

I'm not overly familiar with the Virginia incident, but I doubt if Colt was involved in the resale. It was Colt who complained about these guns reappearing on the market at less than what Colt was selling them for, thus leading to the investigation/fracas.

John Gross

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
There may have been a lot of under the table dealing in the sale of these guns, which makes this gun even more intriguing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This is a historically significant gun with established provenance. In the configuration it was in in the early 1870s. Beautiful italic address, sharp serial numbers. sharp,crisp edges, perfect action, nice bore, nice ivories, professional front sight and muzzle crown. Looks like a Colt job to me. The gun is just like it was 140 years ago, nothing abused or fraudulent about it. Contrast this authentic gun to a gun with badly buffed markings, heavily buffed rounded edges, crude cut barrel and ugly welded front sight, improper and reproduction parts attached, and not functioning properly, all work probably done by Bubba in 1955. No comparison from a collector stand point. This seller is pretty proud of his stuff, but I would pay 3K for this gun.
Haha, but it ain't Custer range

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Haha, but it ain't Custer range
This gun was in circulation as sold around 1874, it could have been bought and used by Custer, Earp. Hickok, Holliday, Masterson or any of the Frontier Notables and used in their adventurous exploits, it is certainly in that "range". No one knows for sure what gun Custer carried at the Little Big Horn. If we use the term "range" as "it could possibly be" then this gun is in the Custer range. It certainly fits his swag.

·
Premium Member
20,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got a rock that was once walked on by Custer. But I can't prove it.
I think I have seen a few Custer rocks for sale at gun shows. They were certified (by someone) to have been excavated from the area around the Little Big Horn.

·
Premium Member
20,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
they work in conjunction together....and the fellow is rude.....just my experience with him....
I have seen many old Colts for sale by this same person (Collecting Texas) on Guns International. I wondered where he was coming up with so many
old SAA's. That explains a lot. Thanks for that information.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts