Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be flying to Southern Florida soon and wish to take along a handgun (reciprocity is good)...

My response from the airline is extreamly gray "Guns must be unloaded and in a locked, hard case. Ammunition must be in a separate locked, hard case or in the original case/box. Ammunition cannot be packed in the same container as the firearm. Customers must let the appropriate agent(s) know that they are carrying a firearm".

I would like to know from someone with experience what exactly is required...

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again A1A... Its all there...
It's a pretty good site for lots of other answers as well...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can speak from personal experience traveling to and from Florida on Continental Airlines. I first contacted them to understand their rules well beforehand, and a very helpful and friendly agent read them to me so there would be no confusion. I packed everything as per those rules, and at the check-in counter, had my lockable hard case inspected and carried off by security. By the way, onlookers eyes bugged out at the contents of my bag.

When I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale, I went to the special area where people retrieve odd items such as skis and pets. After much searching, it turns out that my gun case came out on the carousel with all the old ladies' suitcases. Go figure.

What I learned was that if you take time to learn the rules and follow them, you shouldn't have any problems. As a result of this courteous treatment, I now prefer to travel Continental, and have let them know it. I'm planning a trip our West soon, and am looking forward to open carry - something restricted to active duty police in the Northeast.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I usually fly Delta, from Salt Lake City to Little Rock, Arkansas.
One MAJOR point about flying with a handgun in your luggage. Your luggage MUST be hardshell! Not softsided. This means a hard suitcase, or a gun case.
And the pistol case in your luggage must be hard too, no soft sided handgun pouches. That's what I've been told for years and I've abided by that without any problems.
Here's what I do:
Lock the unloaded handgun into a hardshell handgun case. These may be hard plastic or metal. I use a padlock with keys to lock it. The key goes into my pocket for carry-on.
Absolutely NO ammo --- not even empty cases or dummy rounds --- go into the same hardshell suitcase that you put your handgun case into.
The locked, hardshell pistol case goes into my hardshell suitcase. The suitcase is left unlocked, so inspectors can get into it if they desire. The inspectors have made this point to me numerous times --- leave your suitcase unlocked to avoid damaged locks from them being forced to break into it. I've never had anything stolen from my suitcase.

In a separate HARDSHELL container or suitcase, you can transport the ammo, projectiles, empty cases --- but no powder or primers! Not even percussion caps or cans of powder. BIG no-no!
As for transporting ammo, in a bind I've even purchased a small, hard plastic or metal fishing tackle box and padlock, and checked in ammo that way.
Some years back, while visiting my brother in Little Rock, a friend of his gave me a few boxes of .44-40 cartridges he'd been given years before. I had no plans to take ammo back from Little Rock, but the cheap fishing tackle box and padlock worked fine. No problems. I stuffed some T-shirts around the boxes of ammo, to keep them from shifting in the locked box.
My rifle case is rectangular. To the curious, it holds a rifle, a musical instrument, tripods for photography, etc.
To quell their curiosity I stenciled, CORE SAMPLES -- FRAGILE! down the length of it.
Now, what thief would want to steal geologic samples drilled from the Earth? I figure they'll pass on my rifle case, thinking it contains worthless dirt.
I haven't traveled with my rifle case since I stenciled it but I'll bet it doesn't draw a bit of notice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Years ago I traveled from Arizona to Michigan. The rules were a bit different then. I had a revolver in a hard handgun case that was in turn in the middle of a duffel bag with clothing around it. In Chicago, they forced me to check out my bag and carry it to the other airline. My possession of the handgun being quite illegal in Chicago. When I arrived in Michigan I found the hard pistol case destroyed, the dents having stopped just barely short of damaging the revolver. (A rather expensive, irreplaceable, special pet.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is a follow-up to my previous post, since I just flew from Newark, NJ to Las Vegas, then back from Tucson, AZ to Newark. I locked two unloaded handguns in a hard-sided case and informed the check-in clerks. I packed a full box of ammo in their original box in my suitcase, as stipulated by TSA rules.

At Newark, they took the case and my key for a private inspection, asking me to wait outside the sterile area. Once they finished, I was handed back the key. No problem.

In Tucson, I did the same thing, but being a smaller airport, I was asked to wait in the lobby for 15 minutes in case there was a problem and they needed to reach me. Again, no problem.

I did one stupid thing, though - I had left my pocket knife at home before leaving for Newark airport, but forgot about a stray live 9mm round I had picked up at the range more than a year prior and that had been mixing with my pocket change ever since. That lone round caused a great fuss when I emptied my pockets into the bucket when entering the passenger area. While everyone was understanding after I pled abject stupidity, it did require an instant background check and a police response. I'm publishing this story to emphasize how some incidental gun-related things we dismiss offhand can have possibly grave consequences. They could easily have made a Federal case out of it, but let me go with a stern warning.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Dorsey:
When I was a kid it wasn't unusual to see a loose .22 rimfire cartridge mixed in with the pocket change of my Dad's cronies. The wiseacres called these .22's "Norwegian Pennies". I may be guilty myself on occasion. Thanks for the reminder and the memories. B.W.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Speaking of which, I know this is drifting OT but, your comments caused an immediate flashback to a jar with an orange top. I had to go out to the garage and dig it out. This was a household "fixture" when I was a kid (a couple years back). The jar and contents are older than a lot of posters on the forum. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They were in dresser top trays too, probably from emptying pockets. How am I doing? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts